After Diagnosis

hi all putting this one anon as my OH may read it and haven’t spoken to them about it yet

has anyone felt the need for or had professional help regarding all the worries that follow a dx of MS?

reason i’m asking is that virtually all day everyday my mind is on what the future may hold for myself and my family and i’m finding that my mood can change at the drop of a hat as it just takes one word out of place and away i go in another bad mood!

so i’m just wondering if going down the therapy route would help and has anyone else found that they benefitted from it?

thanks

Yep I see a shrink, and my friends here kno. I had a quick dx 10 days decided on mess, can’t have now, psyched self up if you can talk it helps either forum, great people here, or sharing. There’s no stigma. We all have been touched by MS either as have it or carers Take care Mike :slight_smile:

Hiya

When I was diagnosed it was a complete shock to me, I had no idea that the tingly feet I’d had in the previous months was anything to worry about, my vision went blurd when I was in work one day so I went to the doctor who told me to go to hospital. I went, got kept in for 2 weeks (had an MRI) and came out with the diagnosis of MS! I knew nothing about MS and the doctor didn’t give me any other info, apart from go away and get on with your life. 3 weeks later I was back in with another relapse and carried on like that for the next 6 months (in a complete fog).

I didn’t have professional help at any point and sometimes wish I had. I did go to my GP, burst into tears and got put on anti-d’s. I struggled to deal with it and my family struggled to deal with it, it took me a hell of a lot of courage to stand up to them and say ‘hey I’ve got this thing, let me deal with it however I can…it’s not yours to fix!’ But I had to do it as I couldn’t cope with all of the fuss being made. I really feel if I/we had been referred to someone to talk to, it would have been alot easier and less traumatic. I felt that I needed someone to talk to to get my head straight and the only people I had also needed to get their head straight too, if I’d got professional help, it might have made the ‘coming to terms with it’ process a lot easier.

Hope that make sense and helps a bit.

Sue

xxx

Hi Sue It makes complete sense. You explain and people do not understand.nyou more the loss of being ell, yr job, friends, financial implications, I cred ndvmourned, I still do. Life ges on. I Will reinvent myself, I am strong, stronger then before ndnowt will stop me. Mike :slight_smile:

Oh yes,I am seeng a sharing, and there is no stigma and I will and do admit it-I am strong M :slight_smile:

I did ask for therapy when my doctor told me the news. I waited around 3 months and to be honest I had already come to terms (if you ever can). I now realise that I needed therapy from someone who knows about MS, so if I were you I would ask your MS nurst (if you have one) for a referral to Neuro psychology. I’m told this can be helpful.

Good luck

Wendyxx

your oh cant see what you write on here unless he signs in as you , also he would have to do an account for himself.so what you ask or say on here it is between us only

I had a very bad childhood and before I had got over that I had started with m.s.

I found that I couldn’t ‘get to grips’ with either thing because I was so overwhelmed.

I got counselling and whilst I still have problems with the m.s. and I still have problems resulting from the bad childhood I am now able to split the two things up.

If you think counselling/therapy would help then go for it.

Hi Nameless ( I have trouble typing anonymous)

The best therapy you can get is talking about it!

Some of the very best therapists are really good listeners - they just make comments that get you to keep talking. That makes you think about it (read the bit above from stenovski).

There are a lot of people here who carry on a normal life after diagnosis (for some, the Dx is a relief, now I know what the symptoms are, sort of thing).

It is not the Dx that will impinge on your life, it is probably going to be one of the symptoms. That is when having someone to talk to will help - and there will always be someone here who will listen.

Geoff