Forum

advise please

had trigeminal neuralgia 4 days, havnt eaten for 3 days, gp gave me codiene but no good im taking neurofen not much use. i cant talk or drink what can i do, feel to weak to get out of flat

Oh dear this sounds awful! Would it be possible to call nhs direct to get some advise? (get a friend or neighbour to help you if you cant manage yourself) It is a long time to be in pain until monday when you can see a gp. If not have you got a friend who can take you to a&e? If you don’t get any help by monday i would ring your surgery and tell them you need a home visit asap as you cannot put up with this any longer. Teresa.x

Hi

Codene,neuraphen etc are useless for TN. It is a neuropathic pain and does not respond to pain killers. Even morphine wouldn’t help much.

What you need are drugs that are used as anticonvusants. They are licensed for use with TN so it’s dumb that your GP has not prescribed them. Tegretol (carbamazepine) and gabapentin are two common ones. It takes a while to get the dosage right so be prepared for a bit of trial and error.

I don’t want to put the URL because it will delay my post being published but Google Trigeminal Neuralgia Association UK – it is a useful website with an active forum.

Jane