Advice Needed: Kesimpta and Pregnancy

Hi all,

I’m in a bit of a dilemma and could really use your insights. I’ve just found out I’m 6 weeks pregnant, which is exciting but also a bit worrying considering my RRMS treatment. I’m currently on Kesimpta and it’s been working wonders for me.

However, Kesimpta isn’t safe to take while pregnant, and my neurology team is suggesting a switch to a different medication, involving daily injections, and it seems to be significantly less effective (about 25% efficacy, I think?). They also mentioned that once I switch, I might not be able to go back to Kesimpta which concerns me.

On the brighter side, my MS nurse mentioned that the risk of flare-ups during pregnancy is usually lower, which is reassuring. I’m really leaning towards sticking with Kesimpta because it’s been so effective for me. But I’m also wondering, if I choose to pause the treatment during pregnancy, is it common to resume Kesimpta afterwards?

Any advice or personal experiences in this area would be greatly appreciated. This is all pretty new to me, and I’m trying to make the best decision for both my baby and my health.

Many thanks in advance!

I am trying to conceive and the doctor clearly mentioned to me that the only DMTs that are suitable are B-interferones such as Avonex and Plegridy. Yes, these injections do not offer a high percentage of protection. I am willing to risk it though. They advised me to ttc for 1.5 year (I am 43). After 45, rain or shine, they want me to switch to more heavy and potent DMT. Husband and I have no other children either together or seperately. It’s my last hope.

Congratulations on the pregnancy. Yes, while you are pregnant, you are kinda protected from relapses but after giving birth, some women can get nasty relapses. I would say, please discuss the risks further with your doctor, but even if you stopped the DMT completely for the next few months, it is highly likely that they will give you more potent DMT after labour.

2 Likes

Hi Jx. My sympathies to you in this dilemma. Not sure if this will be of any help but I’ve been using Avonex ( weekly injection) for around 17 years now. Nothing terrible has happened to me in those 17 years other than that I now find it difficult to walk for more than 20 mins or so ( I started out having no problems walking).