ADEM

good evening has anyone had experience with the rare inflammatory demyelinating condition of ADEM (acute disseminated encephalomyelitis) reason for asking as i think my partner may have been mis diagnosed with possible ms and may have adem. he was taken into hospital 4months ago with left weakness but is now recovering well but does not have an app with neurologist until end of october he seen him last in may and was told possible ms due to lesions on brain but he had vaccinations a couple of months prior to his hospital admission he is 45 and was always fit and well so am thinking more adem than ms . it was mentioned re vacc during his consultation but was instantly dismissed but i feel it may have been caused by the vacc wihich where hep a hep b dip and polio.

Hi Shazgib, have you recently worked/traveld abroad? IE south america?? i heard of soome kinda bad thing when i past that way,but my DX was 18 mounths before.

Hope ya get some advise dude!! Julien

Hi Shazgib, have you recently worked/traveld abroad? IE south america?? i heard of soome kinda bad thing when i past that way,but my DX was 18 mounths before.

Hope ya get some advise dude!! Julien

Hi the mri of MS and ADEM are different they have different patterns. Sometimes you can get ADEM lesions that are in the periventricular part of the brain.

The main thing is with ADEM compared to MS is ADEM lesions either stay the same, or resolve at least partially. In MS more lesions occur. More lesions should not in theory occur in ADEM. This is because the demyelination in ADEM is different to MS. In ADEM the demyelination is described as the cats are chewing harder so it seems like more damage, but they chew only the outside of the myelin (the coating of the nerve fibres) in ADEM. The body able to remyelinate (repair) much more effectively in ADEM.

Hi juju67 thanks for your reply its not me that has possible ms its my partner he was working offshore and had to get vaccinations for the job he was doing. Regards shaz

Hi lenney thanks for your reply i think my partner will need to question it more with the consultant i just think its too much of a conincident he gets to age 45 fit and well then gets vaccinations for his job working off shore and ends up in hospital with demylination disease which i think the vaccs have caused. Regards shazgib