A few days away from first Neurologist appointment"

Hi guys. Sorry I’ve been away for so long. Unfortunately I’ve had no internet access at home for a few weeks + there wasn’t much else to report!

This morning, I had my follow up appointment with my neuro and he explained that the MRI of my brain and upper spine were normal (apart from it showing that my sinus’ were full of fluid). I’ve suffered from sinus problems for years, but he suggested I visit my GP to see if there’s any treatment to help reduce the fluid. He also explained that there was no link between this and the neurological symptoms I’ve been suffering from. So, MRI clear.

My VEP test was also normal so no damage to the optic nerve.

He’s now ordered an MRI of my lower spine, along with an MEP and SEP.

Basically, I’m again stuck in the POSSIBLE MS stage, based on my neuro exam and tests I’ve had done to rule out other possible causes. Frustrating, but I’m pleased he didn’t hit me with the whole “anxiety/imagining it all etc etc”.

Any comments will be most welcome :slight_smile:

Hello, I’m back! I’ve just had my latest set of results back and thought I’d share:

*2nd VEP was normal.

*SSEP also appeared to be normal.

*MRI scan of Cervical and Thoracic spine showed disc movement at C3-4, C4-5 & C5-6. The Thoracic area was “essentially normal”.

Can anyone shed any light on the cervical spine results and what that could mean? Disc movement sounds a bit vague. I’m guessing it’s not MS related, but I have no appointment date yet to see my Neuro, so thought I’d see if anyone on here has had anything similar!?

Cheers,

M x

Hello, I’m back! I’ve just had my latest set of results back and thought I’d share:

*2nd VEP was normal.

*SSEP also appeared to be normal.

*MRI scan of Cervical and Thoracic spine showed disc movement at C3-4, C4-5 & C5-6. The Thoracic area was “essentially normal”.

Can anyone shed any light on the cervical spine results and what that could mean? Disc movement sounds a bit vague. I’m guessing it’s not MS related, but I have no appointment date yet to see my Neuro, so thought I’d see if anyone on here has had anything similar!?

Cheers,

M x

Hi Atticus,

You are quite right - disc movement definitely isn’t a feature of MS.

The implication would be that your problems may be mechanical - one or more discs are out of alignment, and potentially impinging on the spinal cord - although it doesn’t actually say they are!

I guess key questions will be whether the displacement is sufficient to be causing your symptoms, and, if so, whether surgery is an option.

Tina

Hi Tina. Thanks for the feedback! My results arrived by letter and as you can see, they didn’t reveal a great deal. Hopefully I’ll get my appointment through soon to get some answers :slight_smile: Is it normal for them to keep things that vague on a letter? M x

I found out today that my neurologist has discharged me and advised me to go back and see him if my symptoms progress or don’t improve!? I got this from the neuro’s secretary after ringing up to see about a date, for a follow up appointment. I’m not really sure what to think now. She told me to go and see my GP regarding the cervical spine results (see above). I guess I’ll sort that out tomorrow.

Back in the world of limbo again!

x