A brief beginner's guide to the brain and MRI

Hi, has anyone ever disagreed with their MRI report? I have a long history of symptoms, I had a brain MRI in December 2022 and had barely any communication apart from the report and a letter saying I should be reassured. I received the images on a disc for me to take to other medics when I saw someone. When I uploaded the images onto a USB stick to make it easier, I had a look at my images and I was shocked with the amount of white spots and white lines (I laughed and said they looked like maggots!) None of this is mentioned in the report so this is why I’m wondering if something has been missed.

Hi I think it is possible that brain lesions (as seen on MRIs) may be a late indicator of MS; i.e. people may have many symptoms before lesions start.

Ref reading MRIs, this is difficult for the untrained. Also older brains (you don’t say your age) have white spots etc due to ageing.

It seems like you’re looking for a great reply, but I’m not entirely sure what context or topic you’re referring to. Could you clarify a bit? That way, I can craft the perfect response for you!

This sounds like an incredibly useful resource, Karen. Medical and MRI reports can feel like a completely different language, especially when you are already anxious about what the results might mean.

I really appreciate the way you’ve explained the limitations too. Having a starting point for understanding terms can make it much easier for people to research further and prepare questions for their neurologist or GP, without treating the information as a diagnosis.

Thank you for taking the time to put this together and share your knowledge with the community. I’m sure it will help many people feel a little less overwhelmed when reading their reports. :heart: