Forum

2 hours isn`t long enough

Morning all. Thanks to everyone who replied to my post about my lp.

Today, 3 days after the lp, I am still nursing a very sore head.

Thursday (day after lp) I stayed in bed to rest. Then yesterday, I got ready to go out for my retail therapy fix, but had to cut the trip short, as my back was stinging like chuff and my head was banging. So I came home and went to bed.

This morning, I really wanted to get back to normal (well as normal as I`m ever gonna be now) and take a look at the work my hubby is doing on the campervan…alterations needed to keep up with my ever changing needs. (for the worse, I might add).

Carer Bev got me showered and began to dress me, when the head started to bag again and i felt sick. She put me on my bed for a breather…then I knew I had to remain here…oh, chuffin `ell!

I am sure…nay, postive that the nurses got me up too soon after the lp.

Last time I had it, I was left to lie flat for 4 hours…no headache at all.

What was the experience with lying flat/how long headaches for others?

Paracetomols ain`t helping much.

luv Pollx

Hi Poll, they kept me flat for about three and half hours and I had no headache at all. YES think they didn’t leave you long enough!

Plenty of liquid… they say coffee or Coke is good.

Hoping you feel much MUCH better soon.

Lots of love, Pat xx

Hi Poll poor you, I can’t remember how long I laid on the bed afterwards mind you it was over 6yrs ago. I really hope your headache soon goes it must be so horrible for you. Take care love Karen xx

Hi Pat, I just googled the question…how long should I lie flat etc…and it says it depends how you feel…but I wouldnt think you could know until you start moving about and it also says you should take things very easily for a few days. Then it says to drink coffee or cola!!!! Why the chuff didnt anyone at the hospital tell me this? Hubby`s just made me a coffee!

luv Pollx

Thanks karen.

luv Pollx

Hi ya Poll

Oh dear! Not the headache of doom!

When I had my LP done way back in 2002 it was one of the worse headaches I have ever had - no THE worse headache. Infact I don’t think I should call it that as it was soooo bad. It took around 12 days to final go and the only relief I could get was to keep flat out on the sofa, bed or floor. It got a bit boring doing that though, through out the day!

The old regular coke (not diet) and asprin (not paracetomol) combination has worked for some people but not all. Again there is the blood patch option via the hossy.

I wish you well going through this horrible pain but there will be an end in sight, erm, reasonable soon, Poll.

Marty

Poor Poll,

If this is your second LP it beggars the question why? I was led to believe if oligoclonal banding doesn’t show up the first time it ain’t gonna show ever.# # Mind you different labs do different tests.# # Marty’s right but I doubt if you’ll need a patch. Here’s what I usually advise:

The actual procedure is not painful; in fact the only thing you feel is a scratch when the anaesthetic goes in. The actual removal of fluid is just a feeling of pressure if done properly. I must stress if done properly; do not let anyone practice on you insist on someone who is experienced.

It’s after you MAY get something called ‘the headache from hell.’ To cut down the chances of getting this you should lay flat for at least 3 hours do not even get up to go to the loo; use a pan. Drink at least 2 litres of classic Coke, not diet; it’s the caffeine that aids replenishment of your CNS fluid. Being your drinking a lot take one of those bendy straws otherwise the bed will get more Coke than you. If you want a change of drink very strong coffee.

These things will drastically reduce your chances of getting a headache that could last about 8 days. If you have a couple of days off work and rest if you do not get the headache, if you do 10 days off work.

If the headache last more than 10 days you could need a blood patch; especially if there’s a wet patch on the bed in the area of the spine after a nights sleep. See GP; http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/docs/hesa.pdf this is rare.

Good luck.

George

#

poor you poll you have my sympathy.

when i had one i had to lie flat for 24 hour then they let me have a couple of pillows for 24 hour. then i was allowed home with the headache from hell that lasted for well over a week. so maybe lying down doesnt help or maybe its down to luck. i was the docs first victim, another doc talked him through the procedure. not nice. i was offerered another when i moved area, all notes from previous hospital got lost! i rather ungraciously declined.

stay strong poll it will go and get plenty of rest. think about the chick campion named after you and smile!

x

Hi Janet, sounds like your doc was cak handed too!

I wont be having a 3rd lp, thats for sure!

luv Pollx

Poor you Poll, i lied down for hours after mine,but once up i started with the headache from hell, and it lasted for 2 weeks,i wasnt too bad lied down, but once i got up, i knew about it,i would never have another one,and i wouldnt have had that one if i had known what it was going to be like,like you say having it done didnt hurt, it was the headache after,i felt like my head was about to explode.

jaki xx

It took me two whole weeks to be able to stay upright for more than an hour or two after an x-ray assisted lumber puncture. Took so long I started wondering if my spinal fluid was still leaking.

I think you can get ‘o’ bands after the first LP that was negative.

Copied this from MS Trust website:

Oligoclonal bands - the immune system produces antibodies to fight infection. In MS, antibodies cross the blood-brain barrier and attack the myelin surrounding nerves. As a result, the level of antibodies in the cerebrospinal fluid of someone with MS is higher than it should be and is higher than the level in the blood, a sample of which is also analysed.

Surely this means that antibodies could cross the blood-brain barrier AFTER the first LP so could therefore show up in 2nd LP?

This is obviously why some people have more than one LP.

Hang on in there Poll. The headache can surely only get better.

Pat x

hi poll

i stayed flat for 2 hours then went home and lay flat for 24 hours. had coke to drink and coffee.

i didn’t have a headache at all and was congratulating myself.

but on the 3rd day i woke up because i was being sick, from fast asleep to vomiting into my hands.

i was scared because it wasnt like normal vomit, i hadn’t eaten much for 3 days.

i went to my gp and he said it was a reaction to having my spinal fluid removed. he precribed diazepam to make me sleep it off.

it is scary to think that we are messing with a fluid that by rights should never be seen.

hope your poor head is better

carole x

Hi Poll

Oh I am so sorry you have had to endure the headache from hell. Although

mine was a long time ago, the only thing that even helped mine a little, was

to lie flat and not move, easier said than done.

Take it easy Poll and dont try to rush back into “normal” life.

Pam x

Hi Poll Sorry that you’ve got that bl**dy headache! I was lucky - I only lay down for an hour afterwards and had no headache at all. I think it is all down to the skill of the person who does the LP. The guy who did mine was obviously very proficient as I didn’t feel a thing. Please rest until you feel better Poll! Teresa xx

Ooo, that sounds awful.

Didn`t expect to feel so bad, but I know it will pass.

luv Pollx

It may sound paranoid, but I am wondering if they gave me a painful, pointless test to shut me up! Thing is, it won`t!

luv Polllx

Hi Carole, oh thats awful! Ill never have another!

luv Pollx

Hi jaki, I don`t think we realise just how intrusive and dodgy an lp is. Never again!

luv Pollx