0.1% of adult UK population suffer from MS, 0.02% suffer from PPMS

Sorry, but got bored, googled, calculated, etc.

Something to tell folk when you’re newly diagnosed. Kind of puts things in perspective.

Or, take Wembley. Capacity of 88,000. But not quite enough for full starting team, if we’re playing rather than watching…

Take care all.

…sorry, but the the 0.02 of ppms is part of the 0.1 overall figure.

If you really want to keep busy, you could try doing it by region :slight_smile: For example, it’s higher in Scotland (especially Orkney). Karen x

Interesting Karen, this is something that really does intrigues me. I’ve read that it’s because of the lack of sunshine and daylight hours that the figure is so high up there; apparently Scandinavians suffer a greater incidence than central or southern europeans for the same reason (vitamin d etc).

But within the UK, or England and Wales more specfically- would be fascinating to have a breakdown. I’m just intrigued by the environmental factors that could be at work here. Is there a rural/urban element?

You need to look at genetics too. There’s an old saying, “if your surname starts with Mc/Mac, you’re 4 times more likely to get MS” and if you track Scottish emigration, you’ll find high levels of MS (eg in Canada). I blame my husband - I married a Mac! :slight_smile: Kx

Now that’s interesting about the Scandanavians - I had thought their levels were not as high as some places because, while they are way North, the sun shines a lot more than it does in Scotland of Northern Ireland. The sun shines everywhere a lot more than it does in Scotland and Northern Ireland!

Alison

x

I was a Mc until I married. Too bad that matrimony does not zero one’s name-related risk!

A

x

[quote=“alison100”]

I was a Mc until I married. Too bad that matrimony does not zero one’s name-related risk!

A

x

[/quote] LOL! If only… Whatever the office is that deals with deed poll name changes would get rather busy :slight_smile: Kx

[quote=“rizzo”] You need to look at genetics too. There’s an old saying, “if your surname starts with Mc/Mac, you’re 4 times more likely to get MS” and if you track Scottish emigration, you’ll find high levels of MS (eg in Canada). I blame my husband - I married a Mac! :slight_smile: Kx [/quote] That’s really interesting, my grandmother who is Scottish shockingly had a Mc maiden name. Does this genetic risk lessen over generations? Suppose it all depends on the environmental factors as well? X

Do we have an acurate number of people with ms in the UK?

Still, we would be better than the England

Darren

No still a guesstimate and will be until that computer system; already well over budget; joining all Doctors’ and Hospitals starts.

George

Hi, I also read that people born in May are more likely to have MS than people born in November! Mothers who are pregnant during the summer are passing more Vit D to their babies than mother pregnant during the winter!

Moyna