Would you push for further investigation?

To preface, I’m highly doctor avoidant - not so much for fear of, ‘bad news’ but the pure stress of getting an appointment!

I saw my GP recently because my fatigue was something else - I’ve had it on and off for as long as I can remember but this has been full on, barely functioning/bed ridden. Coupled with a number of dizziness/almost fainting spells, I was urged to go. Partner and I assumed something like iron deficiency would be found.

Doc ordered a full panel including diabetes, thyroid and an ECG. All came back clear - no deficiencies, heart and thyroid fine.

What I didn’t raise were the other issues I’ve had over the last few years:

• constant body wide muscle twitching and episodes of tremor/jelly legs

• cog fog, forgetfulness and struggling to find words

• 6 weeks of inexplicable hearing loss/tinnitus - physical exams found nothing in the ear

• a period of decreased vision, total loss of night vision and pain on movement in one eye. I just assumed some kind of, ‘eye strain’.

• frequent urination and intermittent inability to empty

• I frequently choke on food, liquid, saliva. I also experience esophageal spasms

• general loss of balance/clumsy - quirky personality trait?

• crawling/tickly feelings on my face and scalp

If relevant, I’m also dx IBS.

I know no one can tell me whether or not it’s MS, but is any of this relatable? Would you go back for further digging? Or shall I just go back to ignoring the oddities and fighting the fatigue?

1 Like

Hi, yes you must ask for further investigations. Could be MS, ME, ???
Boudsx

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply, Bouds. I just know services are so strained; feel almost guilty for taking up NHS time in its current state.

Are these symptoms you’ve suffered, at all?

In my opinion I would get further testing. It might be one (or more) of a vast range of conditions so by ruling in or out you may well have options to reduce the severity or frequency of symptoms.
Good luck

2 Likes

Hello again Sweetcorn.

Yeh, I’ve got the following symptoms;

Muscle twitches
forgetfullness
permanent hearing loss in right ear
double incontinence
choking on saliva

If you need to ask owt else, please do

Boudsx

1 Like

Thanks all for your replies.

I bit the bullet and GP has referred straight to neuro and for MRI.

Any tips for trying not to think about it? :sleepy:

eat some weird cheese combination, start thinking of some of your happiest memories, go to sleep and dream like a demon…
Of course this might not suit you but it does the trick for me, in my head I am faster than Valentino Rossi, ski like Franz Klammer and take pictures like Ansel Adams etc
Wishing you all the best
Mick

2 Likes

PS if you are less than 150 years old some of those names might need Googling !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYj9kIxAL_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atDfMUBwwWs

Ansel Adams: Pioneering Photographer of the American West | Christie’s - YouTube

1 Like

UPDATE:

I went back to GP. After describing some of the things above, seeing the tremor and reflex tests she referred me to neurology and for full brain/spine MRI.

Hi Sweetcorn
I have had a clear MRI but a lot of symptoms which could relate to MS. Waiting for neurology appointment now. Other than muscle cramps, stabbing in feet, stabbing pain in face, fatigue, pins and needles in hands (I could go on) I suffer from getting too hot. I am 65 and not like a hot flush but generally hot all over and body finds it hard to regulate temperature. I am prepared for a long wait for a diagnosis from what I have read. :frowning_face:

I have all of those symptoms, except I’ve had tinnitus for 46+ years. I’ve had a brain scan in the last 6 months and it was clear, but I’m not convinced I don’t have MS. My blurry vision is getting worse. I have a new glasses prescription even though it was only 6 months since my previous eye test