Would having children be supported if...

May be a strange comment to make and maybe a blunt way of putting it. People with with ms who are considering starting a family, would health professionals support the idea and say its all ok if they see this disease really really messing us up in the future??? Or do they just not really give a stuff and let us get on with it regardless? Would like people’s point of view, e.g is it because the majority of people don’t do too bad with ms so they are able to look after their families or are they just thinking we can’t deny someone who can physically make a child so let them get on with it so to speak.

Well my nephew’s wife has just had a baby (she has ms 27) I don’t think anybody gave her a hard time about it or ignored it either! my great nephew, Charlie seems to be doing very well! as does my other great nephew Harry, his mum doesn’t have ms,(born a month apart) my nephew, Charlie’s dad IS a health professional and they are getting on with it.

I asked my neuro if it was ok to have children and his response was ‘of course’. I got the feeling he was thinking I was putting myself on the slag heap even although he said I am in the best category for this disease. If there ever is a good category that is! So I took him on his word and am now 6 months pregnant. Yes I’m scared that I’m not going to be capable enough to look after a baby but I know I just have to get on with it. And if I have to rely more on my partner then so be it. Lisa x

I know mine support it. Hubby and I both have MS. He has 2 boys from his first marriage who are now 13 and 10, perfectly healthy if not full of attitude! And we are looking to have a baby in the next year (fingers crossed). I am currently on Tysabri so will stop treatment when I fall pregnant. But my whole neuro team support having a family.

I know mine support it. Hubby and I both have MS. He has 2 boys from his first marriage who are now 13 and 10, perfectly healthy if not full of attitude! And we are looking to have a baby in the next year (fingers crossed). I am currently on Tysabri so will stop treatment when I fall pregnant. But my whole neuro team support having a family.

I am 31 and was discussing changing to Gilenya and my neuro just said that if I’m planning more children, I’d have to be off the meds for at least 3 months and to make sure not to get pregnant while on them. I said I wasn’t planning any more children (I have one ten year old and I’m single) and he said “you’re only young, you’ve loads of years left in you and things can easily change”.

So he seems to be of the opinion that someone having MS and starting a family is a perfectly normal natural thing to do and seems supportive of it.