Forum

Why do attacks happen @ nite?

It really freaks me out to the point I’m scared to go to sleep, I hear so many stories people wake up numb, optic neuritis, tingling, not able to move, speak allsorts. Why does this seem to happen overnight?

I’m not sure they do. Mine don’t anyway - plenty of my relapses have started during the day.

Remember that most MS relapses build fairly gradually so we do tend to have some warning.

Karen x

Mine have always started in the day, they just progressed overnight as I was obviously out for 7-8 hours not noticing what was going on. So you wake maybe a bit worse than you go to sleep. I guess if the initial symptoms weren’t bad, 8 hours could make quite a difference.

My first and second set of symptoms started in the day.

With the first I was sat drinking tea at the bank and then I had a sense of pins and needles all over my body for 30seconds after it passed the left of my lip and chin were tingly but numb. This then spread throughout the course of the day/night. 2 days before this I’d gone for some treatment for a neck spasm with the physio - they thought I had a trapped nerve in my neck as I was getting pins and needles in my hand and fingers and strength was slightly reduced (needless to say there was no trapped nerve)

So completely agree there usually are some warning signs and things don’t all always happen overnight.

Reemz

X

my first was at day, i was crossing the factory floor to cross to another office and suddenly out of the blue i had this searing pain around my middle and round my back and i just collapsed and was sent to hospital. not a nice feeling at all, at that time i had no idea i had ms, later to realise now that it was exactly that. i suppose i had had warning signs like going completely blind whilst sitting in the staff canteen, it lasted for about two minutes and frightened the life out of me. never once thinking i could have ms.

janet

x

I don’t think it’s worth being scared to go to sleep. If something IS going to stop working without warning, bed is probably the safest place you could be when it happens.

My biggest relapse to date, which led to my diagnosis, pretty much did come on overnight. But looking back, now I’m diagnosed, I can see there were a few little warning signs I didn’t recognize at the time, but would now. I had been unusually tired that week, and a few things were buzzing that didn’t normally. Oh, and I was unusually constipated. So although it may have seemed like “overnight”, I think there were hints, if I’d known what to look for.

Tina