Who here has 0 friends?

When this illness hit I found out who my true friends were. Out of a large group of friends and colleagues, 2 remain. I guess people are afraid of the unknown and those who think they know what and how we feel are soooo wrong. Trying to explain that no tomorrow is ever the same and not being able to make definite bookings or arrangements, as cancelation is BIG possibility can get so frustrating, with the constant “why not, sure you look fine” I guess like many of us it hurt to realise those we believed to be close to, to care or perhaps love just didn’t, or didn’t want to know, perhaps afraid ms is catching :wink: lol Even making fiends on the net can be daunting. I was so hurt when my fiends walked away made their excuses and family members just ignored what was under their noses. They Just expected everyhing to carry on as normal,when you say I’m sorry not today or worse I’m not well today the look of shock,horror and some times disgust is hard to bear. So I’m very thankfull for those who took the time to understand my illness and not judge me or treat me any different from the person I was before! So to all out there, if you don’t find that ear or shoulder close by remember there is ALWAYS many a friend on here who do or have felt as you do. Xxxx

Tinytiger -I think you have just put into words what very many of us feel. MS is horrible enough without people walking away from us because of it, but it simply isn’t possible to inhabit the world of the able-bodied any more, and I find that if you try, far too much is expected of you. I have no family of my own, and even when I had an MS nurse, she maintained that I was making excuses not to go out and be sociable. Even if people have read up about MS, unless they have experienced it first-hand, they haven’t a clue what it feels like, so are in no position to criticise. I make the effort to get out of bed every morning because my carers are coming, and when they do come, I make the effort to stand up and walk around the house, knowing there is always something to hang onto when my balance goes. Recently I have employed a lady from my agency to take me out in her car. I have a folding wheelchair supplied by the hospital, but my suggestion that we use it was met with derision as “I can walk”. When I suggested buying a mobility scooter to my carers, they seemed astonished. I sometimes feel like giving up altogether and not even trying to walk, but the “use it or lose it” ethic is always at the back of my mind. If anyone wants a friend, albeit virtual, I’m always here. End of rant. Thanks for listening. Bin.x

I have been suffering from progressive ms for many years.After i had my breakdown 3 yesrs ago my sister brother dissappesrd from my life. My husbands family did the same thing. Thankgod i have a great cousin

When this illness hit I found out who my true friends were. Out of a large group of friends and colleagues, 2 remain. I guess people are afraid of the unknown and those who think they know what and how we feel are soooo wrong. Trying to explain that no tomorrow is ever the same and not being able to make definite bookings or arrangements, as cancelation is BIG possibility can get so frustrating, with the constant “why not, sure you look fine” I guess like many of us it hurt to realise those we believed to be close to, care or perhaps love us just didn’t enough!theyndidn’t want to know, perhaps afraid ms is catching :wink: lol Even making fiends on the net can be daunting. I was so hurt when my fiends walked away made their excuses and family members just ignored what was under their noses. They Just expected everyhing to carry on as normal,when you say I’m sorry not today or worse I’m not well today the look of shock,horror and some times disgust is hard to bear. So I’m very thankfull for those who took the time to understand my illness and not judge me or treat me any different from the person I was before! So to all out there, if you don’t find that ear or shoulder close by remember there is ALWAYS many a friend on here who do or have felt as you do. Xxxx you don’t have to be alone x

I’m not sure how this site works as its been along time, so sorry for double post ;). Blinda and Catherine. You are both very brave! You keep your chins high, know what you both need and want to make this easier or yous. Ont let other try to tell you other wise. No one knows your body but you or like you. Yes take advice and all help given but never give up on our own will and determination. Never be afraid to cry scream or shout! So what if someone thinks we’re a bit mad, bit of a looney, didn’t it easy our build of pressure and give a few others a giggle! I always find a good giggle cures a lot xx

Hi Lori,

I can sort of try to see where you are coming from. I have lost contact with most friends myself, though I have to take some of the blame because when I relapsed majorly, none of them asked how I was doing or why they hadn’t seen me. So I just thought **** 'em, but I do miss them or at least maybe just the good times. I would like to get out mixing again but after being in such a bad way so long and only partially recovering, I don’t know who to start with or where to start, and totally lack confidence.

I do still have 1 good friend though who’s been with me all along and does like to visit me (I can go out but clubbing, no) , and lots of (mostly older) people who are asking after me so I’m never isolated and alone exactly, but I am certainly removed from my age group activity-wise. I’m still at home many nights and just feel that bit of company’s lacking, but again I take some blame for not being too sociable in the first place lol. I do also find it amazing how people can be so oblivious though!

Never mind… I did have a pleasant Christmas, I hope yours was good too. Richard