What to say to wind up a person with MS (alison100)

When a ‘senior citizen’ commenting on my mobility says something along the lines of ‘you’re in a worse state than I am’ the reply ‘at least I’m not a rude old git’ hangs on my lips :roll: Recently I was struggling down some stairs when a stupid woman said to me ’ I hope you don’t fall because if you do I won’t be able to pick you up’ She got short shrift with ‘That won’t be necessary’ You just got to luv 'em :evil:

To quote my HR department ( I work for a very large ftse 250 company) “Oh MS?.. Is that bad? When will your next relapse be?” I hate that question… Wish I knew the answer!.. Does anyone know that answer? If so please put it on a postcard!!! Jo

I forget things, oh yes i get that, it’s your age… I’m tired, well your just lazy, bit of exercise will get you going… I’m in pain, yes i get that too its also your age… they have an answer for everything wrong with you… Whats wrong with you, i have MS, yes i’m a mess sometimes to…

A delivery guy came to drop off my Avonex … and then a month later he comes with the next box and says something like “you look better!” … yeah one month on Avonex cured me! And who are you anyway?! Why are you even talking to me about my disease?! Suffice to say I stopped using the delivery service after that, as I couldn’t handle a monthly check-in about my health with some imposing stranger …

Following the worst year of my life…constant relapses…6 months off work…3 months stuck in bed and a confirmed dx. From my Sister… “I don’t understand! Why has your insurance company paid out? You ONLY have MS.” Can laugh about it now and yes I am still talking to her. Carol Anne x

Oh my friend had that but her’s must have been worse than yours because she really struggled and you seem to get up everyday… My reply - yeah I have 2 kids!!! Neighbour told me recently, “With your condition (wink, wink), there’s a local group around the corner, on the first meeting you have to bring your own whip - I’ve told the members that you’re one of us…” I had to quickly explain it’s ms not s&m get really funny looks from some people now thou!! (actually this was quite funny - lol)

A lady doing her best to identify with me said…" I once new someone who had ms, a lovely man, Diagnosed age 24 and in a nursing home by the time he was 30." How to cheer a person up? luckly her awful insensitivity made me laugh!

“surely your far to young to have that”

“I thought that MS was a young persons illness” I may be using a walker but I’m only 52! Clarexxx

When Im under the weather and I get ‘you look alright to me!’ grrrrrrr. bren xxx

The best one for me is always when my husband and i go to visit some friends of ours who we dont see very often is “oh you always look so well, you wouldnt believe you had ms”. That one always gets me, do you have to look really ill, and like crap all the time. The other one for me is my best mate, bless her!! OH that is just how i feel with my “me” so i know how you are feeling. i think not!!! Some people should just think before they open their mouths and just blurt words out. Sharon. x

Was in the bank the other day - they have a setup where you sit across a desk from the teller. I hate having to have my stick, so I decorate it with fake flowers, and try to co-ordinate these with my outfit. I’m 36, so a little on the young side to be using a stick (in a lot of people’s eyes), but when the teller (who was my age, or very slightly older) decided to compliment me on my matching outfit and stick, I felt like she was about to pat me on the head! Congratulations on not having your underwear decorating your ears sort of thing - I just smiled and said thank you, she was only trying to be nice. People feel that they can come and talk to you like you’re about 8 years old, it can get a little irritating sometimes. L x

I have 2 favorites: “But you don’t look ill” and “You should take Vitamin D, If you take enough your MS will disappear” The latter Jewel of wisdom was from My Mother in Law :-S because of course she knows better than any Neurologist in the land :!:

Just about everyone knows someone who has a friend/relative with ms and he/she is: “absolutely fine” or “really bad” Also: “you look so well” “they can do so much for it nowadays” “they can stop it in its tracks!” “you’ll be better when the weather improves” which is a variation on comments about the cold and damp “making it worse” :roll:

Well, I’ve been wound up by the recent Daily Mail article about the ‘free’ cars available through Motability. The article was primarily about parents of children with ADHD, but I feel it’s really adding to the persecution of people receiving disability benefits and the misconceptions about the help they receive. Motability cars are never ‘free’! A lot of people also don’t seem to realise that people who receive the higher rate of DLA may actually work and pay tax themselves, and may well have their own money to put towards getting a better Motability car - which I myself am doing. The article led people to believe that this is some sort of scam that defrauds the taxpayer when it is perfectly above board and legal. What has especially wound me up is that MY OWN MOTHER has been influenced by this article and stated that she thinks only British-made cars should be available through Motability as it is subsidised by the tax payer. Apart from the fact that Motability is not really subsidised by the taxpayer (apart from through the recipient’s own DLA,which of course they would receive anyway), I am disgusted that she thinks disabled people shouldn’t have a choice in what car they receive which is paid for WITH THEIR OWN MONEY! Grrrr our lives are hard enough without our own relatives being swayed by anti-disabled propaganda!

Ah the Daily Fail, soaring to the depths of its Fasicst roots again. And it is not as if they would print a letter of correction if we wrote in detailing the full facts, :evil: of course not; that would be fair and balanced journalism :roll: Clarexxx

fascist not fasicst ooopsy!

“FREE” Car?!?!? - I assure you, if I didn’t have a reason to claim DLA and therefore be entitled to drive a Motability car, I would gladly go out and work full time, and then be able to buy and run my own car. Honestly, sometimes the media paints such a black picture! Don’t these imbecile journalists realise that people who drive Motability cars have a very good reason for qualifying for this help - anybody who qualifies for a motability car has “paid” for that qualification with something much more valuable than cash. Yes, it’s wonderful that I am given help to drive a new car, but would anybody sane swap their own lifestyle for illness/disability/memories of war just for a nice set of wheels? L x

lals02 wrote:

“FREE” Car?!?!? - I assure you, if I didn’t have a reason to claim DLA and therefore be entitled to drive a Motability car, I would gladly go out and work full time, and then be able to buy and run my own car. Honestly, sometimes the media paints such a black picture! Don’t these imbecile journalists realise that people who drive Motability cars have a very good reason for qualifying for this help - anybody who qualifies for a motability car has “paid” for that qualification with something much more valuable than cash. Yes, it’s wonderful that I am given help to drive a new car, but would anybody sane swap their own lifestyle for illness/disability/memories of war just for a nice set of wheels? L Hi THIS IS GAURANTEED TO GET ME GOING THEY WHERE AT IT IN THE SUNDAY MAIL THIS WEEKEND YES YOU ARE WRIGHT WE HAVR PAYED FOR IT THATS WHAT YOUR NATIONAL INSURANCE PAYMENTS ARE FOR YOUR JUST CLAIMING AGAINST THIS INSURANCE LIKRCANY OTHER RONIN x

‘why have you been given a free walking stick, i’ve got arthritis and they didn’t give me a walking stick’ the guy then virtually sprinted away from me!

‘oh… yeah… it’s called yuppy flu… yeah… i know all about that… you’ll be better soon.’

or my favourite comment:

‘no, pain isn’t a symptom associated with ms’ from the doctor assessing if ms affected me enough to justify releasing my tiny pension! i was so freaked out that i went on to complain to her much better informed colleague who ensured my pension was released.

wendy