Forum

Waiting hopefully diagnosis Monday

This is my first post in April I woke up with blurred vision in one eye and it turned out I had optic neuritis gradually lost the complete sight in one eye then it almost came back still slight blurry area doc said it’s unlikely to completely return now first thing they asked is any medical issues in the family considering ms isn’t ment to be hereditary my dad had it so now I was completely freaked out. Iam an active 35 yr old who loves riding and competing her horse now I could have this illness so they sent me for an MRI results came back lesions we’re present then it was the lumber puncher results coincide with MS them still not actually saying I had it then recently I had tingling and numbness in one leg and one hand I just want to be told a definite diagnosis and I can try to deal and get on with my life because Iam a natural overthinker and a worrier which doesn’t help so I have my appointment on Monday with the neurologist so let someone see what they say all I keep thinking is what if I can’t continue to work as Iam self employed carer bit ironic really.

Hello

If you do get a diagnosis of MS, don’t panic, your life isn’t over and you will still be able to ride.

Most people are diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS (about 85%). This means that you could get periods of relapse, with new or repeated symptoms, then remission, either partial or complete. Much like you have already experienced with optic neuritis.

The good thing (honest there is one) about relapsing remitting (RRMS) is that there are now lots of disease modifying drugs available to reduce the number and severity of relapses. This means once you get started on a DMD, you could go for years with no relapses. And no relapses means no disability progression. Even if you get smaller, less severe relapses, it bodes well for your chances of staying fit and healthy long into the future.

And you should be able to continue working too.

Luckily you are already fit and have good core strength. That will pay real dividends in the future.

Best of luck for Monday. Try to take someone with you to the appointment. It’s too easy to sit in a neurology appointment, thinking you understand everything, then leave the room and ask, ‘what just happened?’ and, ‘what was x about?’ plus, ‘when s/he said y, what do you think that means?’ So ask questions, make sure you understand what happens next, regardless of the diagnosis and take notes if you need to.

Sue

1 Like

Thanks very much my husband will be coming with me but we don’t have any other family that live close to us although I’ve told my family I find it difficult to talk to people around me about it so this forum definitely helps me