VAT Relief

Hi Everyone

Hope everyone’s staying safe?! Jus a question I know me and my husband would love to get air conditioning in a couple of rooms in our house for when we get Uber hot again. Does anyone know if I can get the VAT removed because of my disability?

Thanks everyone. Stay safe x

Going by the government website, unfortunately not…

"You cannot buy goods that are designed for use by disabled and non-disabled people alike VAT-free. Goods that are bought to be used by or that are mainly bought by disabled people cannot be bought without VAT unless they’re designed solely for use by disabled people.

For example, general purpose equipment such as an air conditioning device, a reclining chair or an orthopaedic bed might benefit a disabled person but cannot be bought VAT-free because they’re not designed solely for use by a disabled person."

I would say always ask, I got my rise and re,cline chair VAT free despite what the gov may say! I always ask! can’t do any harm, they can only say no!

I’m with Maude, ask the quaestion, what have you got to lose, x x

I found this for you

WHAT HMRC MEANS BY ‘DESIGNED SOLELY FOR DISABLED PEOPLE’

This means that the original intention of the product’s designer was to produce an appliance or equipment solely to meet the needs of people with one or more disability.

You cannot buy goods that are designed for use by disabled and non-disabled people alike VAT-free. Goods that are bought to be used by or that are mainly bought by disabled people cannot be bought without VAT unless they’re designed solely for use by disabled people. For example, general purpose equipment such as a laptop, an air conditioning device, a reclining chair or an orthopaedic bed might benefit a disabled person but cannot be bought VAT-free because they’re not designed solely for use by a disabled person.

Thanks everyone. Like my nana always said if you don’t ask you don’t get. Now have to see if I can afford it!!?!

I think on big ticket items they are more likely to give some discount anyway whether or not it’s equivalent to VAT or not, always ask, nothing to lose! if you aren’t expecting it anyway, you just have to be prepared to leave it (I would say walk away but that’s wishful thinking nowadays!)