UPDATED - Newly Diagnosed Yesterday - MRI Results In - Does it look like I have MS?

UPDATE - 22-12-2020 - With the help of my neurologist’s secretary, I was able to secure a phone consultation to get the answers and finally a diagnosis instead of having to wait till the end of January. He called me yesterday and sadly the answer is, YES, I do have RRMS. :frowning:

He said that in an ideal world he would have me in straight away to start intravenous steroids but because of Covid, he will be sending me out a prescription instead, he did say though that he advised I start them after Christmas, so that I don’t spoil the holiday by feeling unwell!

He also said he would be sending me an appointment to see the MS nurse and also him again too in the new year.

So, that’s it, I have MS. I am feeling a little bit numb feelings wise, I had a feeling it would be this based on what the MRI report said, but still a bit shocked as this is all new to me this year, before the episode in May which I now know to be a relapse, I had never ever had any indication that my health issues could be MS. So it’s all slowly sinking in. The only advise I can give anyone else newly diagnosed like me, is to STOP DOOMSCROLLING MS! It just makes you sad and scared.

I’m going to let the news sink in over the holidays and try to find some positivity for the New Year.

Thank you to all of you and I wish you all the very best. xx

Hello,

Can someone help put me out of my misery?

My journey to this point started in lockdown in May, I had tingling and numbness in my left arm and leg that after 10 days joined up down my body and into my groin and became worse when I moved my head. After a phone call with my doctor I was sent for a full spine MRI at the end of June, by which time the symptoms had stopped, as suddenly as they started, it lasted for nearly 6 weeks. Based on the MRI results my Dr referred me to a neurologist, at this time MS hadn’t been mentioned.

The MRI said:

Satisfactory alignment of spine.
Minor degenerative changes.
Posterior not compressing disc protrusion at C5-6.
Noncompressive posterior disc bulge at T6-7.
Progressive posterior disc protrusion at L4-5.
Best seen in STIR, there are multiple faint signal hyperintensities in cervical and thoracic spinal
cord, for example at C4-5, T1-2, T2-3.
No significant spinal canal stenosis.
No cord or nerve root compression.
CONCLUSION:
Subtle lesions in cervical and thoracic spinal cord.
Possibility of demyelinating plaques cannot be excluded.
Differential diagnosis includes other infiltrates changes.

After a long wait I got to see a neurologist in early October. Whereby, after some history taking, balance and other tests, he told me that he suspected I have MS and have probably had it for a long time, 20-30 years! He said he was sending me for some urgent blood tests and another MRI with contrast as he had to be certain before he could say for sure. He said he was worried about weakness in my left leg (it has been giving way often). I received my blood tests and MRI within 3 weeks and also an appointment to follow up with my neurologist that should have been today. I was so happy that I would finally be getting answers and would know before the year was out. But it was not to be as 4 weeks ago I got a letter telling me the appointment was cancelled and was rearranged for late January. I rang and begged to be given a phone appointment instead if that would allow me to know sooner and start treatment, to no avail. So I sent off for my medical records instead and they landed on my doorstep today.

My neurologist had written to my Dr saying "I suspect we are dealing with a longstanding history of demyelinating desease, MS. I need to urgently address the diagnosis by performing MRI with GAD of the brain and cervical spine to see if there is any disease activity and consider long term management. He also said on clinical examination, I note left leg pyramidal weakness with mute plantars, and also on his hand written notes on my medical records he has given a 3.5 EDSS.

The urgent MRI report says this:

MRI BRAIN & CERVICAL CORD: Pre-and post IV contrast enhanced images has been obtained.
Comparison with MRI spine dated 30/06/2020. No previous MR brain imaging available for
comparison.

MRI CERVICAL SPINE: Normal appearance of the craniocervical junction. Previously documented
small discophytic bar at C5-6 level is unchanged in its appearance. Following IV contrast
administration there is subtle enhancement of spinal cord from C4-C6 level. This is likely to
represent an active plaque at this site. No enhancement identified at previously documented
STIR hyperintensity foci at T1-2 and T2-3 levels in the spinal cord.

MRI BRAIN: Multiple ellipsoid shaped T2 hyperintensity foci are present in the periventricular white
matter bilaterally, their shape is consistent with a demyelinating disease. No intracranial spaceoccupying
lesion, haemorrhage or midline shift is identified. No focal diffusion abnormality is
identified. No enhancing plaque is identified following IV contrast administration. Normal
appearance of sulci, gyri, ventricular system and basal cisterns.

CONCLUSION: No evidence of any active plaque in the brain. Subtle enhancement of the spinal
cord, as detailed above, does raise the possibility of an active plaque at this site.

Does it look like MS then? :frowning:

The update of this on the 21st December 2020 is: YES I HAVE :frowning: The neurologist wrote to my GP: "I have informed her that her MRI of the brain showed lesions compatible with multiple sclerosis. The MRI of the spinal cord showed the previous lesions and light enhancement which indicates active disease. We have a definitive diagnosis of multiple sclerosis of relapsing remitting course over the last 20 years. She would be entitled to disease modifying treatment in view of the activity in the spinal cord and we have to decide which treatment would be best for her.’

P.S., I’m not asking in a, ‘give my your medical opinion’ way (unless there are any doctors on here!) just asking for advice from those of you who’ve been there/here please. Also, all my bloods & anitibodies came back fine, just high c reactive protein.

Many thanks in advance x

Unfortunately I can’t comment as I’m not a doctor. Also I am impressed with the information you have. I am kept as a mushroom from my nurologist. Of you need your results explained call and speak to them,. I’ve had ms for 8 years and a diagnosis for 3 I think. It takes a while to get the results and it’s horrible being in limbo land so I feel your pain. Also try not to ask Dr Google for anything as it can also leave you with more questions. Best advice call your doctor’s ask them to explain it and ask what’s next.

Sorry to hear that your appointment has been delayed by almost 2 months. I can understand you requesting your test results.

Have you looked at the sticky in this section " A brief beginner’s guide to the brain and MRI" ? That might help explain some of the terminology. It will explain what enhancement means - effectively if any lesions are active due to inflammation present it will show enhancement in an MRI with contrast. Enhancement gradually lessens - usually over about 3 months - as lesions become inactive.

My impression is that it is saying possibly MS. I don’t think it has ruled it out. I presume you have not had a lumbar puncture yet.

Did you get a copy of the MRI images or just the written records?

WellEarthed: Thank you for your reply, I got all these details by requesting my notes directly from the hospital, if you call up your hospital records dept, they’ll direct you to an online form you have to fill in and email back and then they have to provide all that you ask for within 30 days by freedom of information laws. It doesn’t cost anything, after about 28 days they send you a password first and then a few days later all the notes and scans come on a couple of disks. You can also ring up or email your neurologist’s secretary and ask her to copy you into all future correspondence between your neurologist and your GP. And, yes, I’ve learnt the hard way to stay off Dr Google!

1 Like

Hello Ziola, I got both the written records and the MRI images, they came on 2 cd’s. I was diagnosed yesterday by phone with RRMS :frowning:

How are you doing? I remember you had your MRI about the same time as me, any answers yet? x

Hi, I`m a Yorkshire lass…live near Halifax and went to Halifax, Huddersfield, Dewsbury and Wakefield hospitals for about 16 years and couldnt get a full diagnosis.

I finally got it last year when I went into The Walton Neuro centre in Liverpool.

Where do you go?

Boudsx

Hello Bouds,

I’m South Yorkshire born & bred but now sadly, I’m accidentally living in Essex! I was diagnosed down here in Essex yesterday.

Hey YorkshireMix,

I’m also newly diagnosed after being in limbo for 3 years. I also have RRMS and have had multiple MRI’s, various nerve tests, Lumbar puncture and given enough blood to comfortably feed a family of vampires!

I understand that numb feeling when you get the ‘official’ diagnosis despite the fact that you had a vague idea of what was coming. Its all a bit overwhelming isnt it? I’m avoiding the ‘Google search’ and going with what I know so far. Right now, I’m getting my head around the drugs and working on a plan moving forward in the new year. I appreciate your honesty on this site, thank you.

I wish you a Merry Christmas, before the steroids! :wink:

Hello CazBirdy, sorry I’ve not replied sooner, Christmas with family and another relapse that started on Boxing Day, joy of joys!

I’m sorry you’ve got it too, I thankfully avoided having to have the Lumber Puncture, it sounds like your road to diagnosis was harder. In hindsight, I am grateful that, although I have had this disease, probably for decades, once it was ‘finally’ suspected, the diagnosis was quite straightforward.

I got to meet with the MS Nurses this week, there are 2 of them that I can now call or email anytime, which is a great relief, and they were so lovely. Fully explained everything and put me at ease, no question was brushed away, no rush, totally relaxed experience that has honestly helped my numb ‘newly diagnosed’ feeling dissipate. I can’t undo having MS, but knowing more and having support from the NHS and on here has helped me to come to terms with things. I would advise anyone who is newly diagnosed to contact your neurologist’s secretary who will give you the contact details for the MS Nurses.

I’ve started on a 5 day course of steroids just today, so we’ll see how they go. The nurse said it was needed and she said they will make me feel much better and give me a boost before I start on DMDs. She has advised me to go on either, Mavenclad or Tysabri, with her recommendation being Tysabri. So I have to make a decision soon so that they can apply for the funding. I’ve started a thread on the Everyday Living, asking for advice on these from others that have tried them.

How are you coping? I hope you’re ok. Have you come to any decision on which drugs yet?

Hi YorkshireMix,

It sounds like you have a plan and taking positive steps. That’s great to hear.

I’m still deliberating over drugs and been in contact with my docs just today. My Neurologist has suggested I have a Covid vaccine before I start any treatments so I’m waiting to hear on that. Its such a minefield isn’t it?

How are the steroids? Hope you’re coping ok.

It is a minefield right now, my mantra on repeat at the moment is … ‘It will get better, It will get better!’

Have you been given a choice of drugs to deliberate over yet or are you just researching all of them?

I’m just on my second day of the methylprednisolone, the tablets taste awful as you’re taking them, but it soon goes away, you have to swallow 5 each morning for 5 days, take Omeprazole for 14 days to protect the gut and also self-isolate for 14 days too due to the steroids potential to lower the immune system, but otherwise no problems so far. No side effects so far, and no metallic taste. But also no noticeable improvements so far. I’m told I will start to feel ‘incredible soon’! I’m hoping that’s true and I finally get a reprieve from the 4/5 relapses in less than 9 months! But at the moment I can barely sleep because the soles of my feet are BURNING, so painful, I’m climbing the walls :frowning: My other relapse symptoms that started on Boxing Day too were, bladder issues (slowly improving) and elbow and knee pain (now thankfully gone).

I don’t know why you’re being asked for a covid test before treatment, I didn’t need one for the steroids, and the road to start DMDs, as I was told by the nurse, takes time anyway because firstly you have to decide which one is right for you and then they have to apply for funding, and you have to have various tests done before you start on them, like bloods, pregnancy (if relevant) liver, HIV, Hepatitis, etc, maybe a more recent MRI, maybe a shingles vaccine, all depends which drug you end being offered and choosing. So I am at a loss as to why you have to be delayed by a Covid test, which is like an MOT and only good on the day you took it anyway, it proves nothing, you could pick up covid with a negative result in your pocket on the way to the hospital! Please speak to your MS Nurses about this and more, honestly, she rolled her eyes at some of the things I told her the Neurologist had said to me! They are the most helpful, font of knowledge you can and should tap into.

Stay in touch and let me know if I can help or what you’ve finally opted for. :slight_smile: