MS Society UK | Forum

Trigeminal neuralgia + Carbamazepine

Hi all,

Yesterday I was diagnosed with Trigeminal neuralgia and waiting to be put on carbamazepine (waiting for it to be in stock) but instead of looking myself and possibly seeing some scary things I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with taking these? (Like side effects?)

Also I was told by my GP that due to being young (25) it is most likely caused by MS (although not fully diagnosised yet) as it’s more common in people over 40 if MS is not the cause. Is this the case will it be due to MS? I’m not sure how these things work.
Thank you in advance!

Hi,
I’ve previously taken carbamazapine for sharp stabbing (ice pick) head pains. The usually last for around 10 seconds and I believe its similar to TN.
The only side effect I remember is having a very dry mouth in the morning.
You say you are not fully diagnosed yet. Has your GP referred hou to a neuroligist? Or for an MRI.
TN is quite common in patients with MS although there can be other causes. Do you have/ had any other symptoms?

Sharon

Hello Sharon,

That sounds awful, I’ve got a shooting pain (electric type) from behind ear to top and bottom of jaw and also after the attack which lasts a few seconds I have a feeling like water dripping down my face/jaw.

I have CIS at the moment and I’m under a Neurologist but he didn’t want to make a full diagnosises too soon as my symptoms only started a year ago in April.

My onset symptoms where, headaches, blurred vision, vertigo, fatigue and I then went on to get funny feelings down one side of body and recently had trouble with memory, speech and this TN.

I had an MRI which showed multiple leisons on my brain, spinal MRI showed nothing and LP was negative. Recently MRI in November showed no difference in brain MRI.

I see my Neurologist again in April.

Hope you are well,
Thank you so much for your reply to my worry. I started the medication and so far so good although hasn’t helped ATM but I know it can take a few weeks to kick in.
Beth

sjrogens syndrome?

@mully

What’s that? Never heard of that before