Tecfidera and food: Info gathering

yar… that is a pretty bullish approach.

you must have guts made from steel and concrete :smiley:

which is no bad thing

HA! Well my surname’s Steele, so maybe ;D

Pushing my luck today… Just taken my 2nd dose after eating a big bowl of salad, no meat or cheese or anything in it, only fat was half an avocado, so let’s see if I get any ill effects!

Hopefully not fingers crossed because I’ve really got no interest in eating anything any more substantial, it’s too warm!

you will be fine. my entire diet is more or less fat free.

i am a bit mad at myself this morning however. i completely forgot to take dose two last night.

i wake up in the morning, see that green cap and 2000IU of D3 sat on the bathroom counter and i am thinking… “what the buh…? you fail smythe! fail!”

Yeah, an hour later and my stomach hasn’t imploded. I am eating again now though, lol. Salad’s great in the summer, but it only fills you up for 5 minutes >< Having a bowl of granola now.

Paolo do you need to let your MS nurse know when you’ve missed a dose? Oh, wait, do you have MS nurses over there?

i don’t think i have an MS nurse. and besides, i have you guys!

i have a neurologist… well i saw one on the regular a while ago. they gave me the MS diagnosis. they then referred me to a ‘nurse’ who provided me with a shed load of drug brochures and sales bumpff.

i went with tecfidera and subsequent to that, someone from the drug company gave me a fone call and mailed to me a welcome pack complete with fridge magnets (and more brochures… no doubt so i could “tell your MS friends about the good work Biogen are doing…”)

and that is that. so not so much an MS nurse, as a pharmaceutical customers’ care representative :slight_smile:

That sounds so very American, lol. (I know you’re in Canada, not the US, but still ><)

Hi,

I’ve been on Tec. for a while now and have been trying various breakfasts etc. to see what helps in calming down the flush.

I get a flush roughly 2hrs after taking the pill and one thing I have found is coffee for me is a big no no.

If I have a coffee anytime before the 2hr flush cycle I will have a very powerful flush. It’ll start with my taste buds going a little strange followed by dry mouth, then prickling and then the full flush.

I’ve tested my coffee theory by having exactly the same foods with and without coffee over a few weeks. Each time I enjoyed my morning coffee I had a big flush. Each time I left the coffee out for the 2hr countdown I either had no flush or one that I barley noticed.

Now I realise that this is just my personal experience and that it probably won’t help everyone. This is something that I have tested to help myself go through the morning without a flush. I can have coffee in the afternoon after the flush deadline (As I like to refer to it at the moment) has passed.

Hope this helps

Hi I have been offered Tec so am very interested in everyones comments.

Will definately make a note of the coffee comment, as i usually have one in the morning.

Thanks Hope its all going ok ??!!

It is fascinating stuff.

I have two coffees (guaranteed) every morning, either side of my tecfidera dose #1. in fact, it is not uncommon for me to wash down the Tec with a gulp of coffee.

hell, sometimes, tecfidera dose #2 is washed down with an oat soda or even a cocktail (such is its imposition on my lifestyle!)

my flushing through all of this, has been bugger all!

i am not trying to brag about my good fortune, but am only illustrating how personal each and every aspect of MS and its therapies can be!

i do get a sense of a prickly cheeks sometimes, usually four hours after dose #1. this though is always indicative of hunger coming along and is sorted out by my having lunch.

for you skymouse (or anyone else), if your two hour flush session is annoying, i can think of a few alternatives to postponing your caffeine infusions:

• eat more for breakfast
  • take tecfidera at lunch (instead of at breakfast)
  • take an aspirin (one whole adult strength version) 30 minutes before dose #1

in any event, i applaud your testing, i am grateful for your sharing and i wish you all the very best of luck.

Childish sniggering on reading this comment

1 Like