stupid things people say

[quote=“MS43”]

Folk often say to me as I pass them on my scooter or wheelie, ``I could do with one of those. Ive never yet said, Well hang on while I get off it and you can borrow it.......but Id have to break your legs first! Do you think thats going a bit too far?

luv Polllx

[/quote] no i think you could be forgiven for such a reply

Last year I had my bedroom thoroughly overhalled and decorated, which was long overdue. My sister had been sneering at me when I showed her the new look room. I suggested that she 'phone the decorator that did it for me. Her answer:

“No we can’t afford it because we aren’t DISABLED!”

I had a similar thing a wee while ago - my (motability) car was playing up, the alarm was sounding at all times of the day and night, and the dealership couldn’t fix it. I put a rant on Facebook about it and got a reply from one of my friends saying that I shouldn’t be complaining because it was a free car. He’s lucky he’s travelling in Australia, otherwise I’d have punched him. To say I hit the roof is putting it mildly, although I did wait a bit before I replied to his comment, and we’re still friends.

Luisa x

my sister said it all with the following comment on my diagnosis of MS:-

‘well its just as well it happened to you and not me I’d never be able to deal with it like you do’

• this in spite of not visiting me for 6 months after my diagnosis following a 3 week hospital stay (she lives 2 miles away) I do still love her though!

OMG really?

I find that statement hugely offensive as well as hypocritical.

I was diagnosed with ME at 18, I also have fibromyalgia (as well as probable MS).

I have never been a fraud that likes sleeping too much!

I would give anything to be normal and not to wake up in pain each day and not to be so exhausted the whole time - but clearly it’s all in my head!

It’s a shame that you can’t spend a few days experiencing the hell I’ve been through in the last 15 years and then we’ll see if you still think people with Me are frauds.

MS and ME share many of the same symptoms. There are a lot of people on this forum who also have ME/CFS/FM or are diagnosed with them rather than MS.

This would be like me saying to you that as your symptoms aren’t obvious then your MS is really mild, you clearly don’t need medication or any other help.

Or that I know someone else who has MS who has managed to cure themselves via CBT etc so you should do the same and if your symptoms persist you’re not trying hard enough or don’t want to get better.

Would these upset or annoy you? I bet they would.

I have carers to help with bathing. I can’t stand hot water, or rather the MS can’t. I should LOVE a hot bath, but would be flat on my face for the rest of the day. ALL the carers say “I should hate to have the water so cold”. Yeah, so do I…

I’m really sorry to laugh, but some of these replies did make me laugh, I love Belinda’s, aka brog64, you would just love to say that wouldn’t you, they have no bloody idea, oh you look well on it, well I’m very bloody sorry, I’ll do my best to look awful, oh you’re still getting about, again sorry about that, and I’ve had the one about my scooter, I want one of those, well here take mine, and I’ll have you’re mobility, and I bet we could all go on and on, anyway you all have a good day, take care, and STOP FAKING ,LOL, and that’s not LOTS OF LOVE, Jean x

[quote=“MS43”]

Reminds me of my recent unpleasant encounter with the moron who came to read the gas meter. he asked what was wrong with me and I said MS. He replied with Oh I have a mate with ME, he cant be bothered to get off his arse either!` Unbelievable.

pollx

[/quote] i think i would have strung the tosser from my balcony by is teticals for that one

When l take the dogs out - running alongside my scooter - l have had lots of remarks from cyclists and car drivers who slow down and wind down the window to say ‘’ That’s cheating’’

F.

[quote=“jms”] [quote=he_funk]

Golly, I’m about to surprise myself by being a wee bit confrontational. Many people on here have been diagnosed as having ME as well as MS; no doubt many of us will know people who have or have had ME. People who have it are not frauds who simply enjoy a good kip. My wife had it when she was a teenager, and she still has problems with fatigue. She hates it, and would dearly love to never need to sleep during the day.

Sorry, I hope I’ve not offended you. I just obviously felt the need to say something in defence of those who have ME.

Dan

[/quote] lol to be honest my brothers girl freind has ME and i do understand its a genuine condition but in comparisom to MS its a walk in the park and it realy grates me when people try to compair them to each other… And no you didnt offend dont know whats wrong with me but im on a real high at the moment so i dont think any one could offend me.[/quote]

Sorry, another ME’er here.

The reason that people compare them is because the symptoms (including the neurological symptoms, as ME is a neurological illness) are extremely similar.

Two of the main differences are that for most ME sufferers, there are no periods of remission, and the fact that because it has been given a name which links it with CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome), people do not understand what a serious and debilitating illness it is and assume that it is all in the mind (as I believe was the case with MS for many years).

Like MS, some people suffer more than others, but at least a diagnosis of MS may lead to treatment options, which simply do not exist for ME.

Mags

thankyou so much for all your replies. im not the only one after all who has to put up with mindless comments!

i will leave you with this little cracker from my daughter.

’ mum, my friend at uni has ms. when we started the course she was in a wheelchair and quite miserable. now weve fiished the course (councelling) she doesnt use a wheelchair, just a stick. her attitude to life is comletely different to yours.’

oh if only it was that simple!

i think the ms society should take note of the mindless comments and concentrate on educating the masses. i obviously cant with comments like that from my own daughter, who really should know better!!!

x

A few years back, conversation with HR regarding why I refer to processes in codes rather than names, while doing some basic system training for her. Her " do you do this to be awkward?" Me “I do this as it easier for me to work around” Her getting grumpy with my response “that’s not an answer!” Me “ok a few years ago, due to brain inflamation and the damage it left me I am unable to process certain information and so I work around it in the best way possible” Her " So you have brain damage?" Me “yes partial” Her " Well that’s ok then, most people don’t use most of their brains anyway" Open mouthed pause followed by shaking my head as I hold my tongue and walk away …Oddly enough she lasted less than a year…can’t think why! Allen x