Starting Tecfidera tomorrow any tips

I was told protein not fat so bacon I am not sure about. I have only been given the dose in 120mg form which I will double up on for next week. I understand you can get it in 1 tablet of 240mg so may get those next time. Stop freaking out, just type Tecfidera in the search bar and lots of posts and helpful tips on meds to help with any side effects. Peanut butter seems to be a firm favourite with people.

Read what Poalo suggests at the start of my thread and you can’t go wrong. Good luck and let us know how you get on

My ms nurse said fat was fine like cheese n bacon I’ll have a read of poalo. ok will do em

In my opinion (and nothing more,) it is preferrable for you to get hold of the 120mg capsules until you know you easily tolerate tecfidera.

The smaller capsules make it easier for you to ‘fine tune’ your doses, on the off chance that some side effects do crop up.

However, if you only have one week of the green and white caps, do not worry! I’ve heard plenty of people who made the jump to the turquoise 240s one week after starting and have had no troubles whatsoever.

I would wish you good luck but you don’t need it! :slight_smile:

Day 3 and still no issues:) I will speak to my Ms nurse if I can get hold of her, about gradually increasing the dose

Been taking Tecfidera for a year. I found that I get terrible heartburn so I take a dose of Prilosec with it. I take a 240 mg pill twice a day. Morning and evening and always with food.

How’s it all been em?

Double dose for a week now and all fine and dandy till yesterday. Numb tingly face and slight tummy pain.

Hi everyone

Really need advice. Been on rebif, allergic to it!! Consultant has taken me off copaxone as thinks its stopped working.Just had 3 days of high dose IV steroids and suppose to be starting tecfidera… So many allergies to drugs am scared stiff of side effects.any suggestions would be appreciated. cannot tolerate aspirin or non steroid anti inflammatories

I didn’t have any side effects for the first two weeks. Then minor abdominal pain and buscopan or paracetamol helps. You need to speak to your Ms nurse and ask them or your doctor what you can take should you get any of the effects. Always have a full high protein meal and leave at least 8 hours between doses.

Remeber tecfidera is out of your system in less than 24 hours should you need to stop.

Hope this helps

[quote=“Em Gem”]

Always have a full high protein meal [/quote]

i am not sure protein content is essential, but a good sized meal certainly is.

and leave at least 8 hours between doses.

i thought the minimum gap was four hours?

Hi. You sound quite positive and all going well.

i collected my meds this week and plan to start on Sun , I have been given 120g for four weeks so hope that helps. Still really freaking out about PML.

x

Protein is good apparently and the minimum is 4 hours but they prefer 12 hours so it always in your system. Again I think it depends on who you speak too!!!

I only did 120 for 1 week then straight onto the 240 twice a day. The amount of people now taking Tec the pml thing is very very unlikely and you will have the blood tests to see any weakness in your blood count anyway.

Just eat a good meal and take an aspirin 30min before you meal to help with flushing.

Good luck

re: PML.

the risk is highly unlikely. and you will need to ignore many months of persistently low blood counts before it could even become an issue.

needless to say, any health care professional who sees a less than adequate blood count level, will immediately remove your access to Tecfidera. or at least will call you in for a meeting where they will strenuously recommend an alternative therapy.

nice that you have been given the 120mg caps. you will be able to start dosing from a low initial level and increase very gradually as the weeks go by. any time you suffer intolerable side effects, you can fall back to the dose of the previous month, until your tolerances are up to speed. but this too, is highly unlikely.

good luck!

Thanks people! Still trying to understand the whole ms thing and reading all these forums is helping .

Hi all, I’ve been taking tec since January and have experienced side effects but nothing that I can’t handle. To be honest I thought the flushes and itching were the worst…only due to embarrassment!! I go purple in colour and I’ve had work mates say " you are going purple!! Christ mag" doesn’t last long but very noticeable xx All seems to of subsided now… ( which I’m grateful of!!!)

Hi I started my tec yesterday and had porridge with sliced banana for my brekkie was fine with that only side effect was a lovely red hot flush all over my body about an hour after taking it! ( instant tan haha) it only lasted for twenty mins and my second tablet I had with a peanut butter sarnie and I didn’t get any flushing but I was walking the dog in a cool breeze so not sure if that helped or if it was the peanut butter! Cos I had the same brekkie this morning and about two hours later had an all over body flush again only lasting twenty minutes and I can deal with that.

hope your not having any side effects?

An interesting thing re starting on the low dose and moving up to 240g after one week: my delivery company phoned yesterday to arrange my next 'tec delivery. They asked me whether I needed any of the 120g as apparently I have a valid prescription for both doses. Since I’ve been on it 4 months or so, I’m happy with the high dose. But if people are having trouble with the high dose after only one week on 120g, it may be worth phoning the delivery company for extra 120g pills. Just a thought.

First tablet taken at 9.30 it’s now 1.00 and nothing yet so fingers crossed. Feel a bit sicky but it could be hunger

took my first tablet with porridge then after half an hour a spoonful of peanut butter and the tablet .

Lets wait and see !

Linda x

Just a quick question I was told I would have blood tests in 3 months is that normal after starting tec or should it be sooner.

Thanks