Starting Tecfidera tomorrow any tips

Hi, yes it’s normal I’ve been taking tec for 7 months now and have seen my MS nurse blood tests urine sample twice. Once every 3 months. Hope all goes well with your new meds x

my attitude is this:

if the pills are being tolerated, it is easier to double up on 120mg capsules, than if you are not tolerating it well and you would like to cut the 240mg caps in half (which is verbotten!)

i have had bloods done every 3 months since starting one year ago. i plan on continuing going for at least another year.

Thanks for your replies.

Day 3 complete and still no side affects, lets hope it lasts !!!

Paolo,

​I think you are giving very good information. Thank you. I will say that a pharmacist from the company that makes Tecfidera told me the doses need to be spaced out by at least 10 hours because it is timed release. I do take the 240 mg twice a day so it might be different.

1 Like

it is fascinating when it comes down to it. from reading the lab reports during the testing phase of tecfidera development; following its metabolism, tecfidera is expelled from the body via your breath. i don’t know about most people, but that surprised me. anyway… it is completely gone 12 hours after ingestion.

and i can therefore fully appreciate that when taking this time released drug twice a day, the absolute optimal timing would be one capsule every 12 hours.

that is something i attempt, by taking it with breakfast and at bed time. but when doling out my advice (for whatever it’s worth), i realise that some others might not enjoy such a convenient time table and so rather than state the perfect scenario, i try to mention just the one single ‘thou shalt not…’ aspect of the dose schedule: no two doses within 4 hours.

:slight_smile:

i have sneaking suspicion that you will be fine :slight_smile:

but it doesn’t hurt to keep the paracetamol near by.

Hi, I totally agree with Paolo. I’ve used both avonex and tecfidera. Injection wasn’t good for me… Had site reactions, problems with injecting and flu like symptoms the day after, literally stuck to the bed with intense aching muscles in the morning. I’m still on tecfidera and after approx 6 months all is OK ( sometimes have a flush but nothing major). Hope this helps but choose which you feel will be best for yourself!!! Goob luck x

I was on avonex for two years. I really didn’t enjoy the injections and losing a day each week with flu like symptoms. I was told the flu like symptoms would stop after a couple of months, they didn’t for me.

I’ve been taking Tecfidera for nearly 5 months and apart from some flushing, (which like others have said, is more embarrassing than debilitating) it’s been ok. I’ve had one blood test so far and will be going for another one next month.

Good luck!

Hi thank you for your message. It’s so nice to chat to people who understand. Much appreciated. I’m glad your finding Tecfidera ok and yes I’ve heard about the flushing. It’s just been really hard to decide but I think it might be Tecfidera that I choose. Thanks again!

Hi thanks you for your reply. It’s nice to chat to people who understand and with the 3 replies I’ve had to my message I’m feeling better already. Much appreciated! Hope all goes well with your blood test. I’m thinking of Tecfidera more than Avonex now. Thanks again!

Hi Sunflower - just to follow up on the replies you have had re Avonex v Tecfidera -

I used Avonex for about 10 months. I got used to the injections which didn’t really bother me - but the flu symptoms the day after (sometimes two days) were really debilitating and never went away or subsided in that time.

I changed to Tecfidera a few months ago and things are so much better - no side effects at all and I find I don’t even need to be cautious about taking them with food - or the type of food (yes - I know how lucky I am )

Also, I think Tecfidera is supposed to be about 50% effective as opposed to about 30% for Avonex (is that right Paulo?)

Best wishes with it all

Hi Davids thank you for your message, you are lucky not getting any side effects fingers crossed you never know I might just be as lucky as you.

Yes Tecfidera is 49% and Avonex is 33% that’s what I’ve been told anyway.

I go to see my neurologist on the 1st so I need to decide by then. It’s good to hear that someone isn’t having any side effects from Tecfidera

Thanks for your wishes. Take care.

My neuro has just suggested I start Tec now, MRI to see if there is any progression since my diagnosis in June and if there is then move on to Lemtrada.

I was a bit scared reading the side effects of Tec as they sound really unpleasant on a daily basis.

However this post has really helped to put my mind at rest, so thank you all. I will keep you posted as I begin and see what happens.

Janet x

I am to start on Tecfidera soon and was pretty nervous, reading this posts has really helped and has given me some good tips. Thanks.