Should I send this....tone?

Dear Dr ########

I attended for my yearly appointment in your clinic last week, but was seen by someone else; presumably a locum or staff grade. The appointment time had already been changed twice before.

Despite being the first on the clinic list, he beckoned me into the consulting room half an hour late, having just finished his lunch. He did not seem to know what sort of MS I had, and was busily reading through your notes as I politely explained that I have PPMS and described a few of the the main symptoms. He then asked me to walk across the room, then tested my knee strength. After this, he asked what medications I take. Seven minutes after entering the consulting room he kindly informed me that everything seemed ok, sent me on my way and said I would soon receive an appointment letter for a years time

So, may I please request that when September 2015 finally comes around I am seen by yourself. Nearer the time, could you please ask your secretary, or anyone appropriate on the booking team, to inform me if you are not able to be present in the clinic, as I would rather not have to experience this situation again. Do note that I have to take unpaid leave to attend these appointments.

You see, in the past 18 months I have officially had PPMS I’ve only been to the GP ‘once’ regarding my condition; since 2007, when I first started developing symptoms in earnest, to November 2012 when I finally decided I needed help, I had only been to the GP twice; so that’s three times in over seven years! I have never called an MS nurse, knowing how busy they must be.

Considering the minimal demand I have made on the over-stretched NHS, especially considering my condition, I do feel the least I deserve is a twenty minute consultation once a year with a professional who actually knows about my symptoms, and little bit about me.

Kind Regards,

Clucker Pigeon.

2 Likes

CP, I think that’s a very measured and well written letter to meet a situation in which you have received pretty shabby treatment.

The only suggestions I would make are:

1st sentence- full stop after ‘someone else’ and omit your assumptions about the qualifications of who you saw.

2 para last sentence, omit ‘kindly’ . It is a pejorative and not needed to make your point.

Omit para 4. The extent to which you have made demands on the NHS is not pertinent to your main point.

Otherwise go for it. If we don’t tell them these things, they don’t know.

As an aside, I really think you should make more use of your GP. He/she is there as your point of contact with the whole of the NHS, you could make the same point. Likewise, I think you should try to make contact with the MS nurses, they are there just for you!

all the best

Kev

edit PS. In fact, I think you’d be justified in asking for your next appointment a lot sooner, rather than settling for another year’s wait.

2 Likes

Hi CP,

I agree with Kev , it’s a good letter, very well constructed and how do these guys know if we don’t tell them.

I’ve been very lucky and seen the same guy for every appointment I’ve had over the last twelve years. He is really great but I do have to wait for him…he’s one of those rare consultants that give you whatever time you need, consequently there can often be a two hour wait. However I’ve noticed nobody ever gets annoyed…the waiting area always seems to be full of people who are happy to wait because he is so good.

I do hope you send the letter and let us know what your guy has to say.

Good luck CP

Nina x

3 Likes

Hi Kev,

Brilliant reply to CP… Once a teacher always a teacher…I love it! My daughter in law teaches English lit…so I am lucky enough to have my very own editor…very handy when your brain is shredded jelly!

Take care of yourself,

Nina x

2 Likes

You go CP!

Great letter… The Great Annual Neurologist Appointment Let Down… yep I attend that one too.

Last time I went I spent the whole of the 10 minutes (I got longer than you lucky me!) in a wheelchair and he didn’t once ask about my mobility… so I was a tad surprised when he included in the letter ‘she says her walking is a little worse’.

Honestly if it wasn’t for needing the letters for benefits, I wouldn’t bother going at all.

Pat xx

2 Likes

I was in hospital for last December & January and while I was in the neuros did several tests, put me on high dose IV steroids and sent me off to the physio rehab ward to get strong enough to go home.

i lay there from Christmas Eve until the end of Jan. waiting to see the neuro again. Nothing. I kept asking the nurses to chase it up. Nothing. In the end I rang the neuro’s secretary on my mobile from my bed! Left a message. Two days later, neuro appears. He says…

wait for it…

“We thought you’d been discharged and gone home.”

He then told me I had PPMS.

1 Like

Hello CP.

I’ve been a teacher for over twenty years too. The letter is a masterpiece-send it! I’ve not had an appointment for three years. It would be such a faff getting to the hospital, parking, getting the wheelchair out, putting lives at risk crossing the car park being pushed by wife with marauding 2 year old clinging to me, fighting through endless double doors sprung specifically to resist Hercules and an army of horses, then waiting hours only to be told “Hmmmmm”.

Best wishes, Steve.

1 Like