Should I resign?

Hi Everyone,

I’m wondering what to do…I’ve been signed off work since Oct 31st 2013 due to relapse. It was my second one in 4 months. I have been finding work increasing difficult for about 18 months.

I am only employed part time so not entitled to SSP, but am recieving ESA, My question is what happens if I resign? Would this affect the benefits? I’ve had to go into work twice since Christmas for health meetings, which to be honest is pretty stressful. Now they want a report from my GP. Personally I don’t think I’m able to do the job any more. I’d been on “light duties” for a long time and had to turn down any extra hours offered to me. I’m not saying I don’t want to never work again I’m only 33,but when I’m ready I’d prefer to have a new start doing something different and more managable. I’m starting Tysabri soon which also terrifies me don’t like needles,drips etc I’m bit of a wimp that way!

Since my Dx (2012) I feel I’ve had to explain myself to everyone constantly… ESA, PIP(didn’t get that by the way-only scored 5 points) local council, work etc. Nevermind GP, MS Nurse, Neuro and family members! My MS seems to be everyones favourite topic of conversation but mine.

I just don’t really understand the whole benefits thing so could I resign on health grounds or do I have to wait for them to finish me?

Thanks in advance for any advice

BeckyX

hi becky

if you have an occupational pension then occupational health dept of your employer could offer you medical retirement.

benefits and work website could help you through the benefits minefield.

good luck

carole x

Becky Resigning could affect your entitlements to work & other benefits. Although hard, I would see it through at work and let them manage you through this if you are unable to return. I don’t know if you have an occupational pension so I can’t comment on that. Although them the GP / neuro report so that the correct result can be made that’s best for you. It is good that they are asking for this. Best wishes Neil

Becky, I would have thought that your HR department will help you, and that ill health retirement would probably be the best option.

I have been on Tysabri for nearly 4 years and hate needles. It is only once every 4 weeks and there can be a social benefit as there may be others having the same treatment as you. I am so glad I am not on one of the daily injectables!.

All the best,

Peter

Resigning from your job would have no effect on your eligibility for ESA. This is a fairly straightforward benefit – either you are fit for work or too ill. JSA on the other hand would be affected by a resignation because you would be classed as voluntarily out of work. Ill health benefits are not sanctioned by giving up work voluntarily because it is accepted that if you are too ill to work there’s nothing voluntary about it.

To be eligible for ESA you need to gain 15 points on the ESA50 form. Previous work history is not taken into account other than to look at your NI contributions.

One or two people have mentioned “ill health retirement” This only comes into play if you have an occupational pension. It is a way of finishing work due to ill health and claiming your pension early. I did this from my job as a teacher.

I want to council caution at this point because you are about to start a DMD and still want to work. It is much easier to find a new job if you are already working. Once you resign it’s a hard hill back into employment. Could you not scout round for something new whilst still in post?

I understand that it is stressful to keep talking about your MS at work but your employer has a duty to explore any reasonable adjustments that would enable you to continue with your job. They can’t do that if they don’t know what’s going on. Are there any changes that would make it easier for you. Access to Work are a good organization to help with this,

Jane

Hi and Thanks for the replies, I don’t have a pension so thats not an option.

I’m thinking it’s probably best to keep on in employment and keep getting sicknotes from my GP. If work want to finish me then they will I guess!

Thanks for taking the time

BeckyX

Some excellent advice from Wendels – and keep in mind that if you resign you make yourself redundant voluntarily-not a good idea!

You must not assume your employer has your best interests at heart and you may have to fight to get what you want.

You need to spend time getting as much advice as you can regarding benefits, retirement pay-off etc.