Should I buy a wheelchair or wait?

I’m still walking mostly on my own in the house and with a cane outside, but any distance walking is out of the question.

I’ve found a motorized wheelchair that I really like, supposedly made for grass, mud, hills, and gravel in reasonable quantities, but it’s also 2500 USD with no financial assistance available from anyone. I have the money, courtesy of my late father’s inheritance, but it’s a rather small amount and still has to go far. At 23 kg, this chair is considered portable, and we should be able to put it in the car without too much difficulty.

With Covid, I rarely leave the house, maybe going to a single store and restaurant about every 6 weeks. My daughter has tentative plans to take me to the zoo and on some long-distance shopping trips once the weather warms back up, but I can’t decide whether to get the wheelchair that I’ll rarely use at this point or save the money until I really need one.

I’m also thinking about the adaptations I’ll have to make to my house, which will include widening the bathroom doorway and possibly adding a second door to what is currently a very solid wall. If I have a chair before it’s desperately needed, there’ll be time to work out the logistics of moving around in it and upgrading the house.

I would love to assume that I’m one of those people who won’t lose the use of their legs, but a relapse last month made me realize that’s highly unlikely.

What would you do?

I bought an electric wheelchair in the summer. I’ve used it 3 times!

It’s my insurance policy - I know it’s there, in the back of my car, if I get into trouble. I used it to go to B&Q (like US Home Depot - massive) and to the hospital. I knew in both instances I’d be on the limit of my walking by the time I’d got where I needed to go. The final time was at a family gathering at a hotel. It was rather a long way to the toilets and after my first trip there & back, frankly I realised that I wouldn’t get there the next time before my bladder spoiled my day (and trousers), so I walked (with stick) out to the car and brought the chair. And the next time I needed a pee, I made it to the loo.

My chair is 26kg. I may not be so good at walking but I’m strong enough to static lift it in & out of the car, so I still have my independence.

Do it now! Don’t wait till it’s too late.

2 Likes

Hi NM,

always happy to venture an opinion based upon no real knowledge, you did ask :sunglasses:

As ever it seems like you have a bunch of varying notions, and it is always a conundrum to know the “right” time to make changes. In my experience, I have more regrets about waiting too long than going ahead too early. Others might have opposite experiences.
No one wishes to envisage things deteriorating and without 20/20 hindsight (foresight !) it is never easy. The device sounds pretty practical, are there any options to have it on loan for a period which will teach you about the pros and cons not in the brochure.
Could this device open up other avenues for you to do stuff you might not consider at the moment?
You say 23 kg… is it an easy 50pound lift or awkward (think of shape/cables edges), my light weight scooter is about the same weight and is very close to my personal limit and I have to be very careful not to cause myself any problems lifting it into my car.

What would I do? I would ask about a loan unit to work out how the benefits and costs stack up. If the balance is positive for you, I’d go for it. If the balance is negative for you (costs / impacts on your house, lack of use / storage) I’d manage without until it became more necessary.

Sadly my answer to your question is not that useful, but I hope I can help with your thought process.
Good luck
Mick

Nice one GCCK, I have waited too long in the past so I like your style
Mick

Thank you both! I don’t want to wait too long.

No rentals or loans available, but it supposedly ranks in the top 5 here in the states and got excellent reviews on that South American river. Most days right now, I think that Mum and I could lift it together, and my son has already “volunteered” to tag along with us to handle that part. It seems to fold up rather compactly with nothing sticking out, and it comes with a travel case if we’d want to fuss with it. However, I’m that person who’s always had trouble with pillow cases.

I would definitely go out more often if I had it, but is that really a good thing with Covid still being pretty ugly? But we cancelled most of our summer plans because of my inability to walk rather than the chance of catching a fatal disease. I know I’d feel better if I had it, because I’d rather be prepared ahead of time than surprised, but I always hate spending large sums of money at one time!

Storing it when not in use would be a slight problem, just because my house is so small and already cluttered. But we’ve already been talking about rearranging things, because right now I can’t even get a rollator into the bathroom if I had to. And all remodeling would have to be done by my uncle, who’s pushing 80 and doesn’t want me to wait too long for what I want done.

I’m leaning towards getting it soon. I hope more people offer feedback, though. I really do want opinions. And you’re always quite useful, Mick!

Yes, go for it! Out and about is good for the soul. Just out into the countryside away from crowds if you are concerned about covid levels.
Just have a reread of this fairly recent lovely post from Essie, if you need any convincing!

I’ve been following Essie’s posts and wish she’d write more often! She’s my hero.

After I wrote that last response, i started thinking about all the trips we’ve cancelled over the last year just because I couldn’t walk. We have so many historical sites and quaint little villages that i never had time to visit before, and now I have the time but no functional legs. Mum and I make tentative plans, and then we cancel because it’s too hot or I’m too tired. It’s time to change all that! I think Ziola (and Essie!) have nearly made up my mind for me.

1 Like

Hello sweetheart.

I’ve advised many people who are at this very important milestone of a crossroads…having been through it myself, some 20 years ago…wow…where did all those years go?

I’m 69 now and mobility problems began when I was around 46 ish.

It started with a heavy leg, then stumbles, then dramatic falls…some were quite spectacular!

The falls became several times daily. I was utterly exhausted.

I began using a walker, then a scooter and finally a wheelchair…I’ve had several and spent a tidy sum…making wrong purchases.

Now my chairs come from Wheelchair Services…but you dont have that in US do you?
So my advice is to go for the chair. Plan and enjoy more trips out. You and your family will all benefit in the knowledge you are safe, can spend longer out and enjoy life so much more!

My sis has just bought a neat electric wheelchair which folds using a remote control. She loves it. It takes up little space in her home.

Good luck chuck!
Boudsxxx

Sounds like you are embracing the “don’t wait for good or bad stuff to happen, just crack on living your best life”
Mick

Hallo just caught up with your posts and can understand your quandary. I waited too long before I used a wheelchair - years of falling over, missing out on things with my family and generally feeling miserable and frustrated. I struggled for far too long before the light dawned and I started to use a chair. My bungalow was built in the 1930s so not really suitable but amazing what you can do like crashing into skirting boards and taking chunks out of doors but at least you’re doing something positive with life. So don’t hold back - go out with your wheelchair legs and ENJOY!! Essie Xx

3 Likes

If you have it, you don’t have to use it all the time. What will you be able to do now that you can’t at the moment?

Being able to take your time to choose will give you a better chance of finding something suitable. Treat it like buying a new car or house. Consider the practicalities and the tradeoffs. What is right for one person will not be right for you.