Selling my Mobility scooter

I’ve got a virtually new TGA Vita Lite mobility scooter that I keep charged but I’m not using it. I think the roads are so busy round here I’m nervous when I’ve used it (twice) and so now I’ve decided to sell it because it just sits there under its cover in the garage using electric.

Can anyone recommend the best place to sell it? I know I can sell it back to the shop where I bought it, but somebody said I’d get a better price if I sell it myself, and I really don’t want to lose too much money.

Any suggestions would be really helpful, because I don’t know where to start (obviously it can’t be packed up and sent by post and its a bit bigger than the little ones so doesn’t fold really small to go in a standard car boot either).

Hello

have you considered selling via a local MS Therapy Centre or an OAP Meeting group.

have a look in your local papers / websites for Organisations near you.

some may offer this for a small donation

all the best

paul

1 Like

Have a look at the web-sites for Preloved and Freeads.

To save yourself from timewasters, put in the following conditions:
Collect only and cash only.

Geoff

1 Like

Preloved site is good, i got my luggie scooter from there,i like preloved better than ebay.

J x

1 Like

Hi Anne,

can l make one suggestion before you sell your scooter?

Take a month (or even 2 weeks) and go out on your scooter every day. Even if you are nervous, just go out for 5 minutes at first. Don’t let yourself make any excuses - EVERY day. If at the end of that time you still feel like selling it - go for it.

I am suggesting this because twice is simply not enough time to get over feeling nervous. My scooter sat in the garage for ages before I got enough bottle to get going. I forced myself to go on it when every instinct was saying leave it in the garage. at first l used to worry endlessly about where I was going and would plan my routes on Google street view but l got over it. Although I have an electric w/chair now I still use my scooter every day to walk the dog.

presumably the reasons for buying the scooter in the first place still exist - you thought that you needed it and you probably do. I think you will overcome your nervousness and not need to sell it. But if you don’t - nothing lost, it won’t be worth any less for a couple of weeks use.

Jane

1 Like

Thank you for your helpful replies. I will try a couple of places locally as you suggest, then if that doesn’t work I’ll try the ones you suggest online.

Thank you, Wendels, your suggestions are good, but one of the aspects I find difficult with the scooter is its speed of response when I’m trying to cross a busy road. What with the typical MS slight delay in response combined with its ‘soft start’ I feel I’m not crossing fast enough. I don’t think this will change, unfortunately.

Oh Anne, like Wendells I wanted to urge you to reconsider before parting with your scooter.

I say this, because I uesd a scooter for 12 years before needing a wheelie. I was nervous at first and drove it away from busy roads, until I was happy about busier places. And it got me out so much.

Is there anyone who would go out with you, to give you more confidence?

Selling a little used item usually means we lose a lot of dosh, sadly.

But if you`ve made your mind up, then ok…

luv Pollx

1 Like

Anne - As someone who has used a scooter for about 25yrs - l do think you should give it another try. lts got to be faster crossing the road then someone walking. As it is a small scooter l expect the top speed is 6mph - or maybe 4.

Do you have a ‘shop mobility scheme’ near you. ldeal place to go and try different scooters - and they give you tuition. Also, they usually have a board with ‘scooters for sale’ - so you could advertise yours if you decide you still want to part with it. Try a bigger more road worthy type and see if that gives you more confidence. They will be more substantial - bigger seat with head-rest and arms.Proper lights - including hazards and indicators. 6mph is the fastest you can go - legally - on a footpath.

1 Like