Remembering Those Who’ve Died at the Hands of Atos ‘Healthcare’

A well attended and genuinely moving memorial service was held today outside the front doors of Paralympic sponsor Atos to coincide with the opening day of the London Paralympic Games.

Atos carry out the Government’s Work Capability Assessment, a crude computer health test designed to strip disabled people of benefits by declaring them ‘fit for work’.

Disabled people and those with serious health conditions have been subject to endless grueling assessments by the company and an increasing number of people have tragically taken their own lives as a result of the process. Many others have had conditions worsened due to the stress of testing regime whilst a recent investigation found that 32 people a week die after being found ‘fit for work by the company’.

Around 100 disabled people and supporters gathered outside Atos’ gleaming London Headquarters to attend the service. A coffin, resplendent with white lilies to remember the dead, was carried to the front door of the company alongside funereal music. Messages sent from disabled people around the UK were released attached to black balloons whilst a minutes silence was held during which even the heavy security presence guarding the company appeared to respect.

The day was part of a week of action against the company which has seen protests outside Atos offices around the UK. Visit the DPAC website for reports of other events held so far. Campaigners will be back at Atos HQ on Friday when Disabled People Against Cuts team up with UK Uncut for the Closing Atos Ceremony. Gather at Triton Square, Euston from 12.45pm on Friday 31st August.

Tomorrow sees a day of online and telephone action targeting the company, more info at: http://www.dpac.uk.net/2012/08/dpac-atos-armchair-games-30th-august-the-truth-is-revolutionary/

Share this:

Excellent way to get the message across!

I feel bad that I can’t get to any of these protests as I live in London and should be easy to go… but simply not well enough to go! Can’t use public transport and fatigue too awful to even plan to go.

This of course is part of the problem. The government are harrassing a group of people who are often too unwell to attend the protests!

I try to do my bit by spreading info on here, Twitter & Facebook. At least we have the internet to spread the word and get to know what’s going on.

Thanks for posting,

Pat x

This surprises me that it is so few, given the number of people who ATOS so-called “assess”

Might it be a good idea for a campaign to get a few names of those who have died and mail out “In Memoriam” cards (or letters) to all the ministers in the DWP, and all the ATOS Directors (yes, I know most of them are in France). Do this one name at a time, and send a copy to the tabloids as well, and there is the basis for a nice non-violent protest. No-one gets hurt, no events get disrupted, but the message gets across.

Geoff

Thankyou for posting this…and the photo makes it all the more real.

As Pat says, perhaps the reason for so few demonstrators is that we are too ill to travel or can`t use public transport such a long journey.

luv Pollx

I would love to be there too!

This was an excellent way of getting the message across, but non of the daily papers have featured it that I can see, in fact the only place I saw it was on Newsnight last night and on here.

Newsnight was excellent last night with a few people in wheelchairs on there, and a lovely lady a commediene who had cerebal palsey who really put her views across most eloquently.

Same all the tabloids didn`t take it up and put it on the front pages this morning.

XXX