quick question re. pip application

Hi all

I need to fill in the application form and I’ve been told to write the symptoms as if its your worst day. My question is is it your worst day in remission or whilst relapsing? My relapses have been completely disabling but in remission I’m well enough to only need minimal help. I have rapidly evolving severe rrms. Please help as its so confusing and completely different answers depending on lots of factors! If I put when in remission I don’t think I’d be entitled to anything but when relapsing I can barely do anything without needing help.

Thanks in advance

Think to your worse ever episode. Write down how it affected you and what help you needed when you where at your worst. X

lt is well worth joining benefitsandwork.co.uk they will advise you every step of the way. You can download all the forms as well.They will answer all your questions.

The rule of thumb is whether you have a particular problem half the time or more.

You cannot use “worst day” without making absolutely clear that’s the worst case, and how often you’re that bad.

The “worst day” advice is outdated and could now be construed as fraudulent, unless you make some attempt to qualify how much of the time you’re like it. If it was four days a week, on average, it’s more than half the time, so would count.

If it’s three or four weeks a year, it’s not half the time, so you can mention it, but it’s not likely to count for much.

Be very careful NOT just to list worst ever symptoms without stating how long and how often, otherwise it could be assumed you’re claiming you’re like that normally or always. If that’s not the case, you’ll need to clarify.

Tina

x

1 Like

I’m afraid this just isn’t a simple question.

Here is my experience with the WCA test, which I believe is similar to a PIP application…

I was declared fit for work, but overturned the decision on appeal…

At my original assessment I was asked to describe my symptoms on my ‘very best days’, I assumed I would then be asked about my ‘very worst days’, but wasn’t, despite my protests. Therefore, as proved by the appeal court, my ‘very best day’ scenario was not a valid assessment. The doctor at the original assessment would not accept ‘fluctuating’ as an answer and continually pushed me to describe my ‘very best days’.

My point here is that ‘very best day’ and ‘very worst day’ scenarios are equally worthless when viewed alone and must be seen together.

My advice to anyone now is this: Stand your ground and insist that your condition fluctuates. If there isn’t a tick box for that, then you cannot answer truthfully, so don’t don’t tick any box, but do write a brief explanation - if there isn’t a space for this, then write it between the lines. You must answer truthfully as you have to sign to that effect at the end of the form, and I’m sure you don’t want to lie!

I won at appeal tribunal by insisting that my condition fluctuated. I was given a fair hearing, the doctor on the panel both listened and understood; two qualities that were uncomfortably absent at the original assessment.

Please, I don’t wish to alarm you. The CAB offer excellent advice and have much more experience I, so do call them, ask to speak to the benefit advisor.

Ben

Thankyou everyone

This was my problem with describing my worst days while in full blown relapse is that I’m not like that all the time or even 50% of the time but I need alot of help when like that. My husband had to take 3 weeks off work to look after me then my family had to help when he was back at work. If I was to describe what I was like then and then I get assessed when I’m feeling well it would be a totally different story!

Sorry, this wasn’t such a quick question after all!

I have a lady from the cab coming on monday to help me with the forms (she was recommended to me by the local ms society) but I don’t want to waste her time.

I’m sure you won’t be wasting the CAB lady’s time.

As Ben has said, it’s not a straightforward question.

The CAB (I used to volunteer with them) used to be among the organisations who gave the “worst day” advice, but I’m sure they will have withdrawn that now, because of the guideline that it must apply half the time to count.

But I am quite sure you will be encouraged NOT just to tick the boxes, but to provide copious examples and explanations - adding a separate sheet of paper if necessary. You must be honest, but you cannot explain it adequately just by ticking the boxes.

Tina

x

1 Like