Program featuring a woman who has MS on at 8pm

I can’t actually go and do my shopping myself though, it’s why I shop online. Especially not Lidl as it’s the furthest supermarket away. I can make it to Aldi, but I can’t carry anything of weight because that really messes with my equilibrium, I’m veering all over the place. I went to Aldi with my mum a few weeks ago, and while I did manage it, it was a struggle. Maybe if the Tecfidera turns out to be my friend I may recover enough this year to get back to being able to make that journey safely and successfully on my own. Time will tell!

Also, lol… 37 Years on the Dole's Michelle X is arrested for growing cannabis at Oxford home | Daily Mail Online

Sorry. My bad :frowning:

That’s ok! My mum says the Lidl here in town is far better than it used to be. I only ever went in there once and that was…2001 maybe. It was nasty in there then D: We bought some frozen stonebaked pizzas, and some faux mini Mars bars, and they were both horrible, the chocolate especially so, yuk! I really like Aldi though, is Lidl comparable now, or haven’t you tried both?

I would actually quite like to try Lidl, as it no longer carries the stigma of: “You get what you pay for” (with the implication to expect rubbish), and in Germany never has!

But the nearest one to me is quite a s*d to get to on public transport, and they don’t do online shopping - which is one of the ways they keep overheads down - so I’ll never know if I’m missing out on something that has more than come into its own. :frowning:

Tina

wow well my thoughts are this forum used to be a place of support when the chips are down, id still like to think this but most of the older names are gone and judging by the comments above im not going to earn any pals from this reply but i feel its gotta be said, i know the girl in question and her chap via the fact they are members of Bikers With MS as most of you would of seen her Tshirt which i personnally thank her for supporting and advertising our group.

As for her lifestyle or what she spends her money on, that for me is her choice, i would not dream of telling somebody how they should live or behave with regards to their living wage nor would i ever JUDGE anyone for how they live or what they do, MS is hard enough as it is and differs with each person, so f^%$ it why not if it makes you feel better you go for it for i will never judge anyone.

Its not my kind of lifestyle as my kids would be horrifyied but yeah ive toked as a teenager and got s&^$faced as adult and even tried it again for the MS but it didnt suit me at all now so i am on Nabilone a manmade cannaboid and it works, and as my kids leave home or my condition changes if it gets to a stage where it would help then id do it why not.

On the benefits side of things anyone on these will always be looked down on by some and aas stated above not Tv program is going to show it in a good light as it wont do anything for their ratings, ive been on everyside off the coin working and benefits and have a point i always stick to never say never and never judge or be judged yourself.

Personally i say rock on have as good a time as you can we only have 1 life so live it and the girl and her chap get my full respect as it takes big kahunnas to do something like that knowing you will be judged by some and hated by others

respect sheep

1 Like

Well jellysundae, my £15K is for two people (one with MS, one with Parkinsons).

That’s two old age pensions,plus a small university pension, plus two attendance allowances. Now, I could be willing to swap part of my income for your ability to walk (normally or otherwise). Cannot figure out how we could do the deal though.

Bread? Three Warburtons 400g wholemeal @79p each from Tesco does the two of us for a week. The only good thing about getting old is that you tend to eat less. Makes balancing the diet just a shade harder though, but we usually manage to get plenty of variety in our meals. Tesco’s home delivery is great (makes ASDA’s look like a bunch of novices) and they carry the goods right through the house to the kitchen. We can have the stuff all put away in 15 minutes.

Geoff or Geoffrey? OK so I was christened the latter, and I have been called a variety of names. I suddenly became Harry in the army when I joined a small unit that already had a Geoff in it. As a university researcher and sometime lecturer, I would always tell the students "Call me Geoff, or Doctor xxxx - do not call me Sir). So do keep your spellchecker in order, please.

Loved the Daily Wail story, hope the DWP gets in on the act.

Geoff

What people spend their own money on is certainly their choice! What they spend other people’s on is not, however.

I didn’t see the programme, and from the reactions it has aroused, I’m rather glad I didn’t.

But nobody has the right to live however they please, but expect the taxpayer to foot the bill. Appearing on a programme which - rightly or wrongly - is perceived to show people flaunting how well they’re able to milk the system is nothing to be proud of either.

4 Likes

I have. Nothing between them. Lidl closer to me though and cheaper than Sainsbury’s !

Me too! xx

I think that they put TV programmes like this on, so it gets people on side for all the next benefit cuts which are coming our way. Lets show the viewing public what some people do on benefits !!! Fishing for public support ready for the cuts!!! Andy

1 Like

Well said Andy , they are never going to portray anyone honestly anyways, but all i get from the above posts are its bad because someone is on benefits, i was a tax payer all my life and now unable to work but does thaat mean i am bad because i buy something for my bikes from my benefits, no i dont think so, or am i going to judge someone who buys a top shelf pizza instead of a tescos blue label no not at all each to their own, i am not saying that some folks take the p there will always be folks like that and there are some that take the p by doing work cash in hand, am i going to look at them with hatred or dislike no way our goverment doesnt look after us in many many ways but before we judge we should take a step back like the old guy in the program he was really down on his luck and you could see he was on bare bones but should he be judge because he spent a big portion of his benefit on a travel down to London to look for work, is he taking the mick as he should hitchike or walk ? in my view of things which is bound to be different thats what makes us unique in my view the girl and the older gent were not bad for being on benefits, unlike the 1st youngman my view of him is different but everyones own little bubble is seen different through each of our sets of eyes all im saying is dont be too quick to judge folks especially our MS’rs as most of the time when life drags us down we only have each other

respect to all sheep

2 Likes

Hi, I take cannabis to help me sleep and for pain to really helps,I don’t smoke it but take it in tea at night

Have Channel 5 ever made anything worth watching? I wonder why they don’t make a programme about how greedy bankers caused the recession, indulge in money laundering and fiddling exchange rates, and yet none of them are in prison where they belong.

I might even tune in then.

2 Likes

i totally agree with you Sheep.I have had MS for 47 years and I worked part time for most of my working age until I had to take early retirement at 47. I don’t watch C5 usually and I am very aware how they, and the right wing media, use these programmes to stigmatise the workless in society, it’s a deliberate strategy to distract from the real culprits who bleed tsicuety dry. I use the term 'workless’without the negative connotations usually associated with it. I wonder how many people using this forum bother to inform themselves about how big corporations, banks and the richest 1% have flourished in this recession whilst paying little or no tax.

I saw the programme, I only saw one guy who seemed to be living it large on benefits but I don’t really know his circumstances, the woman with MS - how do I know why she gets £20 k a year - how do I know why some people on here in the early stage s of MS qualify for full DLA? I don’t really care - how can you all criticise without watching the programme? Yes she seemed ok, yes she wouldn’t take the job on offer, but for gods sake, getting benefits is such a roller coaster and it’s sometimes no wonder people fear coming off them.

People, show some humanity,get yourselves informed about how how skewed capitalism is in providing for big business and the rich and and now a rabid Tory government screwing the poor and vulnerable. Watch out for that on Wed and keep fingers crossed that Osborne doesn’t also go for the disabled - they’re keeping quiet about that.

I rarely look at this site, I rarely comment on anything much and yes, Sheep is right, the level of discourse nowadays is poor, with some people having loud voices and nothing much of interest to say. The site used to be full of intelligent discussion even if that resulted in disagreements and sometimes invective. At least it was worth checking in and contributing if something interested. We all ( well mostly) have MS. Just because we do, that doesn’t mean we are homogenous. But we shouldn’t rush to judge without knowing the facts, and we can’t about those with MS, as my MS is different to all of yours. and the same goes for everyone else.

Now I too get full DLA and ESA. Now I too smoke at night to knock me out because my pain is severe and untreatable. Anyone lining up to throw some stones at me too?

Susi

1 Like

Hi Susi great reply very thought provoking and very informative and very true and still the rich get richer and poorer get poorer but yes i will never judge anyone as who am i to judge

Respect to you Susi and all sheep