Forum

Pregabalin withdrawal ....

Hi Everyone

I just wondered if anyone has stopped using Pregabalin, and if so, did you do it over a period of time, and did you experience withdrawal symptoms?

I’m putting on so much weight and seem to be swelling up like a balloon (I think some of it could be water retention). I therefore want to come off it, and wondered if anyone had any advice on doing this from their own experience.

Would appreciate your valued help.

Bren x

I haven’t come off pregabalin, so hopefully someone who has will come along soon. I do know the general rule for coming off neuropathic painkillers (and others) is to do it slowly because if you come off them quickly you will experience side effects. If you come off it slowly, you’ll also have the chance to see if you still need it (and what dose - the one before the pain gets bad again).

Best thing to do is to speak to your GP.

Karen x

Hi Bren

I know that when I came off amitryptiline my neuro advised me to slowly decrease the dose over a period of a couple of weeks and then once off that to start on pregabalin and to gradually increase the dosage. So I would think it’s probably the same when coming off pregabalin but it’s really best to check with your nurse or GP first.

When I next see my neuro I’m also going to ask him for something else because the pregabalin doesn’t appear to be helping me that much. He’s already aware of that fact and has said there are other alternatives I can try so hopefully you’ll also find an alternative.

Good luck

Debbie xx

Karen & Debbie

Many thanks for your replies - sorry for the delay but my Broadband has been down for a couple of days.

I have tried reducing the Pregabalin, but only got as far as reducing by 25mg so far! I did reduce by 100mg over a period of 3 days, but couldn’t deal with the pain & also had big trouble sleeping. I therefore had to go back up again. I suppose that at least I know it’s doing its job - it’s just that I’m finding the side-effects hard.

I’ll be seeing my GP next week so hopefully he may be able to advise me.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply & do hope you’re both coping OK just now. Hope the New Year brings you some encouragements

Bren x

Hello to you all, I’m finding all this chat about Pregabalin extremely interesting as I have only been on the drug 2 months and have already put on almost a stone. I am worried that if I continue on the treatment I will actually explode! I’m unable to exercise much as lower body won’t cooperate and you can only reduce calorie intake by so much. Inactivity I know is the bad guy here but I’m at a loss to know what to do next. The dosage I’m on is 2x150mg tablets a day and I am wondering if it would be worth trying to reduce this. The drug has helped me enormously with the cripplinh lower back pain I used to suffer so I would be worried about coming off it altogether. What are the alternatives out there for neuropathic pain and any I should avoid ? Obviously I will talk to neuro before doing anything. I’m loving this forum it’s like a window to the world ! Love to you all Jackie x

Hi Jackie

Thanks for replying. Your description that you’re worried that you may ‘actually explode’ is just how I feel. By the end of each day my tummy is double the size it was at the beginning, plus, after about 2 years of using Pregabalin I’m now onto my 3rd stone of weight-gain. I am however finding it really hard to reduce them, let alone come off altogether.

I’ll be really interested to read any replies to your question about alternatives for neuropathic pain. I feel I can’t carry on like this as my self-confidence is already at an all-time low due to the weight.

You take care, & thanks for posting,

Bren x

Thanks for your reply. You did so well coming off a high dose as quickly as you did - and with no major issues too.

My body seems to be very sensitive to medication, so I’m trying to come of the Pregabalin slower than you did, and on gradually smaller doses.

Thanks for your inspiration! I hope you can get the help you need for the pain.

Bren

I am in the midst of pregabalin withdrawal, fearsome bellyache, the runs, sweats, ‘end it all now why wait’ refrains in my head, muscle weakness, brought on my surgery failing to issue an emergency prescription when I ran out and bullshitting me that it had been faxed through for 48 hours. Rock, hard place; devil, deep blue sea. I am not inclined to start taking again - no one warned me about this despite me asking to speak to GP to ask what withdrawal symptoms I may experience.

Hi Ladybird,

Has your neuro/GP issued or suggested a replacement medication?

When I came off amitryptiline it was a gradual weaning process until I eventually stopped the ‘ami’ and slowly introduced pregabalin at a low dose instead. If memory serves me correctly I think it took a couple of weeks.

I’m now on the maximum dose of pregabalin - 2 x 150mg twice a day - which I’ll hopefully be replacing with something else in a few weeks time when I see my neuro again. He’s already mentioned a few alternatives.

If you’re in need of neuropathic pain relief then speak with your neuro/GP for something to replace the pregabalin.

Debbie xx

I take lyrica 75 mg on every 3rd day for the last one month. How should I taper it to get off completelly?

RE WITHDRAWAL FROM PREGABALIN. [EXCUSE CAPITALS, USING HANDSFREE].

I HAVE M.S AND BEEN USING 600MG DAILY FOR NERVE PAIN ON MY LEGS THE PAST 4YRS. MAINLY DUE TO THE WEIGHT GAIN, WAS 10ST. NOW 20ST., AND WORRY FOR USING MY CEILING HOIST.

TWO WEEKS AGO I TOOK 200MG LESS OF PREGABALIN, NO SIDE EFFECTS, THOUGH SPEECH IMPROVED. HOWEVER I HAVE THE BACK-UP OF ‘CHILLI MUSCLE RUB’ FOR PAIN RELIEF [UNFORTUNATELY NOT ON PRESCRIPTION.] BE WARNED IT’S VERY HOT!

ONLY OTHER MEDICATION I TAKE IS BACLOFEN. HAVE BOOKED A MONTHLY MASSAGE ON MY ENLARGED STOMACH.

TOMORROW I’LL TAKE A FURTHER 200MG LESS. KEEP YOU POSTED.