Pip review

hi everyone.

i know this subject may have been talked about but I feel I have to talk to somebody.

i have been dreading this day since I got pip in 2015 the form has now arrived through my letterbox today for review.

i am so scared that I am going to lose my benefit a lot of things have changed since last time like I have now got osteoarthritis in both knees which make walking very painful plus I now have urgency when having to go to the loo.

at Christmas i also fell in shower and had to call ambulance to get me on my feet as I didn’t have the strength to get myself up.

i am sorry for going on a bit but I don’t know if I should tell them or do I tell them and maybe losing what I have.

my husband says I should.

i know I am being a coward but can’t help it.

Anne.

hi annie

get help from welfare rights, CAB or similar.

they know the forms well and the ‘trick’ questions they contain.

you need to spell out for them how difficult your daily life can be.

maybe it would help for you to go through your day, step by step, saying what you attempted to do, what mishaps occurred etc.

this would form a starting point for the form.

mine arrived last year and i still bear the bruises!

just bear in mind that you are not a scrounger.

one of the key phrases is “repeatedly and safely”.

so, for example, looking after personal hygiene - “i have a shower using a bath board and grab rails… with occasional falls”.

my original application was given standard rates from the enhanced rates i had.

my second application was given the same.

i continued to argue my case and eventually it went to tribunal.

the word ‘tribunal’ scared me but the tribunal is a panel of people from legal backgrounds (not the DWP)

they reinstated my enhanced rate.

just goes to show, the exact same claim was turned down twice by the DWP but accepted at tribunal.

promise me that you will get help.

Yes, don’t be scared of a tribunal if neccessary,we got initial help from the CAB and then i took it on for my wife and ‘WON?’ at tribunal for her ESA. We have also recently also filled out a review form for her PIP and i looked at benefits and work website for guidance, you need to see the guidelines they should work from,as been stated a quite important part is that you need to able to do the stated tasks “Reliably,repeatedly and safetly”. I think you should tend not to tick the box “it varies” ? as this implies you can do it,for example you fell in shower and needed an ambulance so in that example i dont think it should be stated as varied as it should be considered you cant do task safely and reliably? It really is a horrible thing filling these forms in as you really should not take an overly positive view and although you probably struggle on doing your best and staying as positive as possible the rest of the time,you must focus on how hard things are and think about what you can’t do, no room for positivity here.I felt completely emotionally drained filling form in(i sent in seperate document as so many changes as pip was originally done pre even thoughts of her having Ms), Much worse for my wife i think. Good luck and try not to let it get you down too much. Ollie

Hi Annie

The advice from Carole and Ollie is spot on.

I would just reinforce a couple of things:

• If you can, get help from CAB or other welfare rights.
  • If you can’t (or even if you can), consider joining https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ or at least read Personal Independence Payment - Citizens Advice So that you are familiar with the activities and descriptors.
  • Make sure you agree with everything the advisor says about you. Remember, the claim is made by you so you have to agree that what is on your claim is correct; not over embellished nor understated.
  • As the others have said, the words, ‘reliably, repeatedly and safely’ are vital.
  • Try to get supporting evidence for everything you state. This can be letters from your MS nurse, neurologist, bowel and bladder nurse, urologist, GP, carers, Social Services care assessment, anyone who cares for you (even family members), physiotherapist, anyone professional or non-professional who knows your abilities and can write you a letter. See what letters you already have before asking for new ones.
  • Evidence can include photographs of adaptations in your home (eg your bathroom).
  • Photocopy everything you send.
  • Post recorded delivery.
  • Don’t miss any timescales.

​If you are given a lower award than you think you should, or are turned down altogether, request a mandatory reconsideration. Again, if you are given the wrong decision, appeal to the Tribunal.

Try not to worry about it, just keep your head and do it step by step, reading and re-reading what is written, look at it critically and see whether you think it fits the criteria.

Best of luck.

Sue

1 Like