Paroxysmal Symptoms

Hi everyone,

Having had a disappointed neuro appointment on Tuesday I did a bit more digging about my symptoms that he discounted.

Basically, I think what I am experiencing is Paroxysmal Symptoms. They started at the end of October last year, following a UTI. They occur all day and night and only last from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. I am getting HUNDREDs a day of:

Muscle spasms (painless and painful)

Itchy numb patches

Loss of balance

Muscle twitches

Dimming of vision in right eye

From what I understand, MS can’t be considered on these symptoms alone. Is that right?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you.

Lisa

Hello Lisa, I’ve had a few disappointing Neuro visits I hope that you get the help you need. not all Doctors or Neuros are understanding and it is awful if you feel dismissed, I know the feeling well, it can be a long road to finding out I’m still on that road myself, I have loads of symptoms but alot seems to be blamed on stress I’m just in the process of changing my GP i’m tired of being left feeling as if its my fault and that CBT is the answer to everything. I have gone for the CBT and the lady i see is lovely, it isn’t a cure all but on the plus side is helping me cope with being in a wheelchair and helping with my self worth.

This is a good group and I find it really helps me to know there are other people who understand, infact people who have gone through similar to you and may be able to advise you more.

Take care Michelle x

Hello Lisa,

The simple answer to your question is no. You would need to have a MRI, VEP and even more tests including sometimes a Lumber Puncture. Having said all that what you have described could well be MS or even attributed to something else. I would push for more tests to be carried out, but don’t give up for if it is MS the quicker you know the sooner you can get help. I do hope you get the tests and get some results quickly. Wishing you the best. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

Janet

x

Thank you Michelle,

It’s terrible the way some consultants behave. I hope you have better results with your new GP. The first GP I saw told me my itching was allergies (with numbness?). So I switched to a different GP in the practice and she was much more thorough and understanding.

I spoke to the neurologist again on the phone and mentioned that I felt I was experiencing Paroxysmal symptoms of MS and he said ‘so what do you want me to do?’ So I asked for an MRI and he said ‘OK’. Not great bedside manner, but I’m pleased to be having an MRI.

Take Care, Lisa x

Hi Janet,

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

The problem was that the neuro didn’t feel my symptoms warranted an MRI. I called his secretary and said I wasn’t happy and that I’d spoken to the MS Society. He called me back on Friday and after I’d told him that about the similarity of my symptoms to the Paroxysmal symptoms of MS he agreed to let me have an MRI. Just goes to show it’s worth pushing sometimes…

Hopefully I won’t have to wait too long. Nearly had a bit of a meltdown in Tesco today. My legs were wobbly and it all got a bit much.

Kind Regards,

Lisa

HI Lisa,

Good for you, now at least you may start getting some answers. It does pay to push them. Do keep us up to date please and good luck.

Janet

x