Ocreluzimab and CV19 vaccine

Hello warriors

I am 36 and have RRMS and I am on Ocrevus (Ocreluzimab). I have had 4 infusions to date and this treatment works very well for me.

I received early this week an invitation to receive my first CV19 vaccine jab. I booked it without hesitation (with the support of my neuro and MS team who advised to go for it). I am now thinking about the unknowns on the vaccine for individuals on Ocrevus and I am asking myself a lot of questions:

• because of Ocrevus, the efficiency of the vaccine will be reduced anyway so why take the risk?

• I will continue to be very careful anyway (re CV19) so why introducing another substance?

• I need to keep my vaccine jab and my Ocrevus infusion 6-8 weeks apart so this might impact my scheduled infusions…as nobody knows when the 2nd dose will happen. Can I afford to derail my standard MS treatment…

As you can see I am a bit confused by the whole thing. Just to add that I am PRO VACCINE and I wouldn’t hesitate a second should I not be on Ocrevus.

The above questions are nagging me…

Any answers / thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex, I think these things are all about Risk v Reward. Most people who catch CV19 including MSers. will have mild to moderate symptoms, but what if… I happen to be on Tecfidera, but no matter what DMD I was on, I’d still have the vaccine. Ultimately your call. Good luck.

1 Like

This is from the Barts Blog.

I’m on ocrelizumab (Ocrevus). When is it best to get the vaccine?

Prof Schmierer: “We recommend the gap between the last Ocrevus infusion and first Covid vaccination to be as long as possible.

"If you adhere to the routine Ocrevus schedule (infusions every 6 months), this means a gap of about 4 months after your last infusion leaving about 8 weeks to give the first and second dose of the vaccine. For the gap between the second dose of the vaccine and your next Ocrevus infusion, we recommend aiming for 3 weeks, provided logistics allow this. Pending new guidance from the Department of Health, we may have to review this.”

Mathews: “To reiterate, we do not expect it to be harmful to get it at a different time point, but it is just about maximising your immune response.”

MS and the Covid-19 vaccines. – Multiple Sclerosis Research Blog (multiple-sclerosis-research.org)

1 Like

Super helpful.

thank you

Alex

1 Like