No lesions on brain MRI but further investigation to be done

Hi all,

I recently had a brain MRI due to symptoms of MS (ended up going privately!).

The scans were clear - no lesions found, nor anything else of concern.

However… my GP is still concerned about my symptoms and has referred me to my local neurology clinic for further tests. Unfortunately there is going to be a long wait, but I just have to be patient. My GP’s main concern is that there is no other logical explanation for me to have these symptoms at my age (I am 41).

I’m curious to know if anyone else had a clear brain MRI but went on to be diagnosed with MS?

My symptoms are still very much there (as I sit here now, I have pins and needles in my lower leg and foot), and I’ve also developed a couple of new ones which I am supposed to notify my GP about, though I don’t really know what they can do until I’ve had further tests.

This is such a worrying time. I have never coped well with uncertainty and just would like to know one way or another.

Thx

Most of us who are being investigated for MS will have at least the cervical spine scanned as well as the brain. Many of us will have experience of spinal lesions that correspond to motor of sensory (or both) symptoms.

Hello. I’m afraid I can’t answer your question but I am in a very similar position. I have been having mainly leg/foot symptoms and an episode of optic neuritis. My brain scan was normal (a single lesion) but I’m now awaiting a spine scan.
Have you been referred for an additional spinal scan?

Thanks, I’ve been referred to a neurologist initially but GP says she’ll recommend a spinal mri. Such a worrying thing