Newbie from Dorset

Morning all! been fit and heathy all my life, so this is a bit of a shocker.

My symptoms started in March/April 2020 with pins and needles, tingling in my toes, heavy legs… which gradually rose up my body to a definitive line around my waste. Saw various professionals before beginning refereed to neurology. I’ve now had two mri scans and the consult confirmed MS last week. I’m being put in touch with the MS the to discuss options.

Am I likely to be recommended treatment straight away. Is it best to wait till I get worse? Currently I can run 5-8k three times a week, regular dog walks. My legs are heavy but I can do it. I get tired easily, but have a stressful job so would I be tired anyway.

I have life and critical illness insurance with Scottish Widows - do I contact them now or wait till I’m worse! If it pays out I could get a less stressful job… what if they refuse my claim, can I try again when my system are worse…

Sorry for all the questions. Any advice welcomed.

Take care all

Thanks Val, wish definitely check the small print… don’t want to miss the boat but equally don’t want to rush into it only to be refused as the illness is currently not stopping me from doing anything although by 9pm I’m so tired i can hardly string a sentence together :joy:

I am sorry about your diagnosis. My understanding is that you can claim on your critical illness policy as soon as you have a formal diagnosis, which you have. Good for you having set that in place when you were still well. And as far as staying well is concerned, the sooner you get on a disease modifying treatment the better. Once permanent MS damage is done its done and there is no fixing it, so the priority is to prevent that damage from happening.

3 Likes

Well done Emma for having the foresight to get CI cover. Most people don’t. My understanding is that you should notify them ASAP.

MS will be a named condition on their list and the “good” thing (sorry for the irony) is that it is unambiguous in both diagnosis and the fact that it’s not curable, only manageable. Many conditions are things that can go away, which may give cause for hesitancy or qualify the award based on a recovery.

Great to hear that you’re still running. You are undoubtedly in better shape than most “healthy” people! Take it from me, as someone who over-trained and then ground to a halt: acknowledge your condition and plan to do less, progressively, not more. There is a tendency to overcompensate but unfortunately this could kick off fatigue. Listen to your body, be gentle and stay healthy :+1:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the message. Really appreciate the advice. Fingers crossed the insurance company pay out and I can get a less stressful part time job…

I’ll definitely keep running although it’s very tempting to give up.

Take care