Forum

New treatments & progression...

Do you think the new treatments such as tysabri, gilenya & bg12 will prevent rrms becoming spms etc? Is that the aim that the researchers are trying to do?

From what I understand all the new treatments are to try stop relapses, thus less disability in the longer term. However, criteria will allow the precribers to weed out those who they feel will benefit and eliminate those they deem wont - be it age, species or alien criteria (all under same heading).

Therefore not all will be able to access them even if they do help slow this disease down. As there is no cure as yet nothing will stop ms, just delay its onslaught for the longest time possible.

bren

x

The new treatments reduce relapse rates and (separately) slow down progression. I have never heard that they make any difference in people going from RRMS to SPMS (and people who have SPMS aren’t given them at present although there is a trial going on for Tysabri for people with SPMS)

I don’t think anyone can say for sure because I doubt it’s been studied - it would require following people for at least 15-20 years post diagnosis of RRMS and Tysabri hasn’t been around long enough to do this, even if they were collecting the data.

Karen x

Sheer coincidence, but I just read this: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/180599.php

In it, it says that in 15 years, two thirds of Copaxone users have not moved from RRMS to SPMS (despite people having had MS for an average of 22 years). When you consider that most sources say that 50-65% of RRMSers become SPMS within 10-15 years, it seems pretty impressive.

It would seem to be a reasonable assumption that the newer, more effective drugs might have an even better result?

Kx