Forum

neuro appt tomorrow..eek!!

hey all…have my first neuro appt tomorrow…have all the info etc but am very nervouse now…ESP as my friend can’t take me or be there will have to get a taxi and go alone…boohoo

,y shoulder is still bad too…and wheeling about is very difficult…
had physio mon and it seems I have rotator cuff dysfunction due to a winged shoulder blade, which has lifted away from rib cage…the muscle isn’t working that pulls it in nor are some of the muscles around my ribs or underarm…which lhysio pinted out…nerve damage? am baffled by how or why this has happened…so will ask the neuro tomorrow…
gp has given some more diazepam for muscle spasms so am relieved as that are not helping as they go all the way up to. y neck and top of thoracic spine too…as well as shoulder itself…need to have another steroid inj in 3 wks and have some exercises to do…getting allot of muscle fatigue doing those…but persevereing with them…
The rotator cuff prob is limiting arm movements allot and is very painful…just want it to go away now after having it since feb!!! seems the exercises will help other muscles to do the work of the ones that are not working …I get that but he doesn’t think acupuncture or ultrasound would be affective…so not sure if he is saying the function in those muscles will return or not…there is a nerve that runs from arm/ shoulder through a complex network back up to thoracic/ cervical spine…
em

Good luck, hope you get some answers.
C x

Good luck in your appointment tomorrow!

Good luck and try not to let him/her just focus on your shoulder which you know to be a physical thing.

Hows the eyes nowadays?

Wish you well.

Pip

Hey Em xxx hope it all goes well today xxxxjenxxxxbutterfly

thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and well wishes. fingers crossed. am going there on the basis of a review as no one has reviewed me neuro wise for 19 yrs…and with all the probs I am having last two yrs and others going back to 1997 post rta in 94… do hope he is thorough. I have done a history overview as he won’t have access to old notes as from another city. and also the people I have seen here in bham the notes are not able to be shared on the nhs system… will stay focused…and def won’t be fobbed off!!
thanks em

will let you know how it goes later…x

thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and well wishes. fingers crossed. am going there on the basis of a review as no one has reviewed me neuro wise for 19 yrs…and with all the probs I am having last two yrs and others going back to 1997 post rta in 94… do hope he is thorough. I have done a history overview as he won’t have access to old notes as from another city. and also the people I have seen here in bham the notes are not able to be shared on the nhs system… will stay focused…and def won’t be fobbed off!!
thanks em

will let you know how it goes later…x

Good luck. Thinking of you.

Reezm

X

Good luck Em!

Karen x

thanks Karen… and Gokr…x

hey everyone…
well appt went as well as expected…the neuro was lovely,attentive and thorough. he wants to review the brain scan from feb and the c spine scan from two yrs ago before deciding what to do next. (I took the discs with me )he thinks it’s unlikely I have an underlying condition re my current symptoms…and past ones but equally he’s not saying either way at this stage although he feels because of brain scan being clear…then he is assuming another MRI of full spine would poss be clear…not sure he has a crystal ball on that one!! but considering my last full scan was in 1994 I feel it would be wise to do another one. but leaving that up to him. I was diplomatic and said I didn’t want any further unnecessary tests but at same time if he felt any would be useful at this stage then I was ok with this. he mentioned the possibility of more physio rehab if this would be beneficial and managing symptoms too but again I feel a dx of some sort would be needed in order to get the appropriate treatment whatever that may be.!!

so all in all quite positive but at least he is reviewing me taking into my history…and recent probs. he seemed very interested in the bladder retention,ON and shoulder prob and said this isn’t always a sports related injury. he’s going to speak with eye neuros also . he checked my eyes, reflexes and arms etc and I thought reflexes were very brisk on left leg, foot elbow and wrist. but not so on right side.in fact whe he did my elbow on left he hit himself with the hammer by mistake but because he was touching my elbow with his elbow my arm shot up in the air anyway…lol
so need to wait now and see what he decides…
thanks for all your support…
em x

Em that's great news. I'm glad it's gone well for you. It's nerve wracking when we know anyone of us is going for a neuro review because 1 we hope they listen and are nice and 2 we hope you get a diagnosis. 1 out 2 is not bad and it sounds like he is taking this seriously and tring to think about helping you with symptoms too.

Keep us posted about what happens.

Reemz

X

hey reemz thanks…yep I agree with you on this…
hope so …
I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask for clarification re symptoms and it’s their job to work out what’s going on and why and how I could be helped.
gp has given more diazepam for spasms which is helping but don’t want to stay in it long term but while I am haing physio re shoulder I may have to…otherwise the pain and stiffness is unvearable and will hinder my progress I think. the dr commented on how twisted my body is from hips to chest…when on the couch thing…it’s not as noticeable when I am in my wheelchair as the seating is ergonomic re posture/ seating position.
chiling today…weather vile so a little ova for my plus physio exercises…lol
e x