ms hug

Hi all, just trying to find out a liitle more about ms hug as I’m not sure if what I’m experiencing is the same, every so often I get a strange pressure numbness and rather uncomfortable sensation behind my right rib cage and across my back somtimes I get it behind my left rib cage too . Has anyone else experienced this or something like it. Thanks

Hi, I can only tell you what I get but I think it’s different in everybody. Mine feels like I have a very tight elastic band just below my bust, possibly a better anaolgy is if a boa constrictor is wrapped around just below my bust and is squeezing tightly. Doesn’t always happen both sides.

Hi rufus and thankyou for your reply, that feeling you get under your bust I get too, I’ve had to start wearing non wired bras as i cannot stand the underwired anymore due to this feeling of uncomfortable pressure , constantly felt like my bras were too tight even though they weren’t, :frowning:

I struggle to eat when it is really bad as it feels like food won’t go any further than that point. It does go away for a long time but then suddenly reappears, which is when I also get acid reflux to accompany it.

I remember getting 2 very bad bouts of acid reflux along with that tight band around middle, I’m taking lanzoprazole for it now . First time it happened my partner called paramedics as I thought it was a heart attack second time I went to a&e, it was the crushing sensation that I couldent bare, I dread it happening again though. I know wot u mean about struggling to eat as I feel like its taking a while for food to go down

Hi Sunflower, yes it does sound like hug. I’ve been getting it on and off for a few years… very uncomfortable at best, very painful at worse.

Here is a ‘copy & paste’ list of tips that might help. I keep meaning to add that the area might be extremely itchy as I’ve been getting that recently along with the hug! Oh the joys of MS!!!

Hope this helps:

It’s a spasm of the small muscles between the ribs. Here are some tips that might help:

· It can go all around your rib area, or only in part of rib area… up high on ribs or low down on ribs… or it can be only on one side of ribs

· Much worse in heat

· Much worse when fatigued or stressed

· Don’t wear a bra (it irritates the muscles)

· Don’t wear tight clothing… the looser the better

· Avoid large meals… little and often is better

· Lie down in/on bed if you can… and lying completely flat often helps

· Take 2 Paracetamol… if you are not on other pain med’s

· Try controlling your breathing… deep in through the nose and slowly blow out of mouth… and try and relax whole body while doing it

· Stay as cool as you can but don’t have cold shower… luke warm is better

· Rest, rest, rest and then get some more rest (if at all possible)

· Gently rub the affected area. It might feel like it’s bruised… don’t worry, that’s normal

Pat x

I get this too, and its usual on my right side bottom of ribs - mine either feels like pressure or almost like someone is pulling my skin until it will split(if that makes sense) I feel mine more definitely when I am warm and when I am bathing . Weirdly, I often get a tingly tongue when it is there… X

Hi pat thankyou for those tips il give them a try, I wear non wired bras now as the bones in other bras are just to uncomfortable and I agree about lying flat that does help. Il copy and paste them tips for future ref x

Hi dingbat yes that does make sense, mines right side behind ribs and right side back and I somtimes get it left side too, I wasent sure if it was the hug as I thought it was all the way round but reading others comments they dont always get it going all the way round if u no wot I mean x

Another thing I find unbearable is any kind of weight on my legs it causes excruciating pain but I’m not sure if its related to ms or not

yes i understand you. i was only dx wednesday but have had this weird feeling for prob 4 years. historically i have thought it was pulled muscle/kidney problem/related to monthly cycle and everything in between!!!

xxxxx

Snap I thought kidney probs even gallbladder theres lots of things that go through your mind and then u think the worse but relieved when yr told its all to do with ms even though its not nice to have x

I have now pieced together the last 4 years worth of weird happenings, like some alien has taken over my body and neuro was more than interested to see my list of symptoms!!! The only new thing I have noticed in the last three weeks after having a flare is, as i am starting to get better and my left leg is getting stronger, i have this intense itching which is driving me mad!!! i cant itch the skin as it feels like it is really deep inside my muscles and so therefore i cant ‘reach it’

VERY ANNOYING!

xx

Hi, I’ve just been diagnosed with costochondritis by my gp after six years of symptoms and tests,(bloods, gall bladder, liver, colonoscopy, endoscopy.kidney) what is the difference between that and the ‘Hug’?