Forum

MS & Anticoagulants?

Hello, My mum has MS and is paraplegic. She has been wheelchair bound for more than a decade. I am interested to know if anyone who has low/limited/poor mobility is on an anticoagulant to reduce the development of blood clots due to inactivity? My mum was recently in hospital and was receiving an anticoagulant injection on a daily basis and had ‘floatrons’ on her legs to reduce the risk of blood clots. I am aware that many hospitals do this for inpatients under guidelines of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence in order to prevent blood clots but it got me wondering why doesn’t my mum have them in the community? She is otherwise healthy and doesn’t have any heart problems or any history of clots (thankfully) but I have read that individuals who are disabled like my mother are more at risk of developing blood clots and maybe I am just worrying a little! Would like to hear any opinions/experiences. Thank you.

Hi Nikkisian I honestly don’t know what the answer is to this. You are quite right that in hospital they are ultra careful about DVT prevention. But once someone immobile reaches home, the compression stockings, floatron boots and anticoagulant injections stop. And yet, your mother is just as at risk as she was in the hospital. Maybe you need to speak to her GP for an answer? But it certainly is a very good question. Sue

Hi Nikkisian89,

I was very recently in hospital and diagnosed with a blood clot due to reduced mobility from MS.

I’m back home now, but will be taking a blood-thinner (tablet) twice per day for next 6 months before situation is reviewed.

Didn’t have any instructions other than these tablets, so I’m trying to walk more and raise my foot up when sitting so that swelling is reduced.

I suspect there’s many of us in a similar position, so your mum certainly isn’t alone !!

Warmest regards,

Dom

I also take blood thinners and nitrates after ms effecting the nerves that open up the arteries that feed the heart .

Already had a heart attack August 2016 all goes back to normal pretty quick afterwards but a bugger at the time .

Hello, Thank you for your replies. In that case it appears they only prescribe them in the community when there has been an issue whereby an anticoagulant is needed e.g heart attack and blood clot like you have both mentioned rather than precautionary like it is in hospital. I was thinking if chatting to her GP about it but it’ll probably be a waste of time. Nikki