MS and Massages

Hi Everyone,

Firstly happy new year to you all, not been on for a while :slight_smile:

Can anyone answer this for me… I have just enquired about a spa day for me, my mum and sister as a treat and the lady asked if any of us had any medical conditions, I told her that my sister had diabetes and then went on to tell her about my ms, she then paused and said that there may be some massage treatments I can not have but I can discuss it on the day with the threapist.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me as I was never aware of this before…

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Hi Kelly I went on a spa day with my sister before Christmas to Oulton Hall the only thing they recommended I might not be able to tolerate was the Sauna/steam room but had a massage etc without any problems. Hope this helps. Sue

Hi Kelly,

I’ve had a very bad experience with a sports massage before. I know it’s probably not the same kind of massage you’d have at a beauty spa, but just so you know…

At the time, I was undiagnosed, and had no idea I even might have MS. So had the massage (for an injured tendon) with no qualms at all.

The physio/masseur observed that my calf muscles were “the shortest he had ever seen” and asked whether I’d been ill. Which shocked and confused me, as I had no idea there was anything abnormal about my muscles, and certainly nothing that pointed to illness.

Anyway, he did the massage anyway, and tried to stretch my calves. It was quite a “rough” massage, but nothing I found unacceptably uncomfortable, at the time. I thought the session had gone OK. However, the following day, I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t even put my heels down on the floor.

Obviously, since being diagnosed, this whole episode makes a lot more sense. My calf-muscles were short due to spasticity. Although stretching is meant to be good for it, it was obviously too much, too suddenly. They rebelled so much I couldn’t weight-bear.

I haven’t been for another massage since, as it’s been enough to put me off for life. However, I do wish the physio had shared more about his suspicions. He probably felt it was not his place, but looking back, I feel he was one of the earliest people to recognize anything was wrong.

Tina

x

Hi Kelly,

I had a series of about 5 massages before Christmas as thought it might help with spasicity in calves. Asked MS nurses advice and went to a theraputic massage person rather than beauty one.

MS nurse just said don’t have a deep massage but otherwise it should be fine.

I get tingling in my lower body and it seemed to stimulate that, but not too much. Overall I found it very relaxing and felt as though

my whole body benefited from it. I’m not good in heat so at a spa the jacuzzi and sauna are out for me - you’ll know what you can tolerte.

Enjoy your treat, sounds like a lovely girly day out.

Jen xx

hiya

general beauty massage i think is ok. i know that indian head massage with ms isnt. any genuine therapist will tell u re possible healing crisis-which is poss with any complimentary therapy. easily found in a search if u want more info. i experienced it once but then i was aware prior that is was possible and it didnt put me off.

enjoy ur pampering!

ellie x

I cant tolerate masages of any kind, last time i had one, i was washed out for weeks,it just didnt do me any good at all,needless to say i have avoided them since then,but we are all different,some are ok with them, some not.

if you have aromatherapy their are some oils that should be avoided. the lady i went to explained it all and chose frankincense because its could for the central nervous system, another for the same reason but i cant remember what it was called and bergomot for the feel good smiley factor.

it was lovely

carole x

I don’t have spasticity problems, so if I am lucky enough to be having a spa day (I love massages best) and have to fill in one of those forms, I find it easiest to say ‘none’ to medical conditions in the same breezy way I lie about my units consumed and litres of water drunk. This is probably wildly irresponsible and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it, but it works for me.

Enjoy your visit.

Alison

x

Kelly, I had the same experience. My son bought a spa day for myself and a.n.other. I went with my daughter. We had a voucher to use at a well known chain of spas and chose a location convenient, to tie in with some shoppnmg in the morning. We had a limited choice of treatments and when I mentioned my MS the person on the phone said I could not have one of the massage treatments, but was allowed a head only massage. So we both had that, together with a facial.

Like you it had not occurred to me that my MS would prevent me from having what I thought would be a nice relaxing massage. Having said that, the head massage was very ‘rough’ and thorough, so I suppose I might have suffered if I had had the neck/back/shoulder option too.

Enjoy your day, whatever you have

Gill

Hi All, Seems like a bit of a thread for the ladies thus far, but want to say I am with Alison on this one. Whilst avoiding the sports massage, I definitely always keep quiet and get the massage. Sometimes the aches and cramps in my back and neck seem to be just too much. And the massage really does work to make things Easier. Does anyone know why massage is bad? Is there a worry they might find the off button? Paul :slight_smile:

Hi All, Seems like a bit of a thread for the ladies thus far, but want to say I am with Alison on this one. Whilst avoiding the sports massage, I definitely always keep quiet and get the massage. Sometimes the aches and cramps in my back and neck seem to be just too much. And the massage really does work to make things Easier. Does anyone know why massage is bad? Is there a worry they might find the off button? Paul :slight_smile:

When a massage therapist comes to your home to do massage spa for men in dubai, they see your home, family pictures, and maybe even family, so they have more insight into you as a person needing their services rather than just a number. This can mean a higher quality massage.