Forum

modafinil

hi everyone,

i have just taken my 1st modafinil and was wondering how long it takes to get an effect? is it hours, day’s etc?

i know there’s only a 50% chance it will work but if it does then how long?

anyone got any experience of this?

thankyou

ben

just been informed by the ms society that there’s an 80% chance it will help me within a month according studies but does it start to work before that?

thx

ben

Hi Ben, When I took modafinil it worked fairly quickly…I would say you should begin to feel the effect within an hour or so. I first took them about twelve years ago…persevered for a couple of weeks but no joy. I was very surprised when a couple of years ago my neuro suggested I try them again. I actually thought it a pointless exercise…why should they work now when previously they had no effect at all but I was told that it can happen, so, ever hopeful I was happy to try again. Within about half an hour it took effect, it was amazing, sadly within another hour or so I was totally manic…couldn’t stop talking and I was whizzing around like a thing gone demented…I was like a battery operated bunny !! Sounds good, doesn’t it ?Sadly I was still buzzing at three the following morning. I tried them for a few weeks but it was always the same. In the end the inability to sleep whilst taking them became worse than not taking them. My husband was nearly driven demented by my constant prattle so I think he too was happy for me to stop them! My MS nurse said she had known this to happen before. I did try taking half but the same thing happened. I have kept a few in case I have some important function to go to…not very likely in my case but you never know! I really hope you have better luck because I could see they could be life changing if only they hadn’t stopped me from sleeping. My GP suggested I took sleeping tablets…not awfully happy about it but gave it a try…sadly still unable to sleep I decided to call it a day. Gave the bulk to my MS nurse who said she could recycle them…just kept a few for rainy days …though they will soon be out of date. Sorry for the epic post but as I have never known of anyone else having this experience, thought it may be of interest. I wish you the very best…please let everyone know how you get on Ng

For me, modafinil works straight away pretty much, but each dose only lasts for about 4-5 hours. I’ve been on it for 3 years now and it still works (and at the same dose). It does very little for my muscle/motor fatigue, but it keeps me awake & alert and I rarely have to sleep during the day any more. I almost always sleep very well at night too, and I didn’t use to:-)

Working out the best timing and dose to get that effect can be tricky mind you! 200mg at once made me hyper so I take 100mg twice a day. I tried different times and found that 10 and 3 works best for me (I take the second one later if I’m planning on staying up late that evening).

Taking 100mg when my fatigue is OK doesn’t make me feel much different, but if I forget to take it, I get absolutely knackered. It’s a bit like, without modafinil, my body goes on a fatigue nose dive as the day goes on, but with modafinil, my fatigue stays level / doesn’t decline as badly.

I hope you’re lucky with them :slight_smile:

Karen x

pleased to report i still haven’t fallen asleep and i feel like i can have an early night. i see what you mean karen, it started to wear off after 4-5hrs but i start taking another 100mg at lunch time so hopefully happy day’s

ben

*lunch time one’s start in 2 weeks

DOG GOT ME UP @ 2:30AM TO GO FOR WEE, SAT THERE TILL 5AM BEFORE I FELT TIRED AGAIN, HAD A TABLET @ 9:30 AM THIS MORNING AND FEEL BACK TO SLEEP UNTIL 1PM BUT I THINK THEY’RE WORKING FINE, DOGS IN THE FRONT ROOM TONIGHT!!!

BEN

Amazing how differently we all metabolise different medications…can’t imagine falling back to sleep for three hours after taking one…pleased they don’t seen to be making you hyper…my neuro told me not to take them continuously as they might stop working, but I noticed Karen has been taking them for three years without increasing dose…Just shows how different we all are. Best of luck …hope you remain happy with the effects Best wishes Ng Ps… My dogs are awful if I shut them in the living room…so good luck with that !