Mobility Scooter

My new new adult trick scooter turned up today. It’s the folding push type.

Been having trouble walking around the park, so I decided to go with the flow.

It’s dual suspension, with large wheels & the mudguard is the brake.

Very good for long flat paths, to get fresh air & mingle with the hipsters.

48 years old, disabled to the point I can hardly walk & stand up straight. Yet I’m planning a trip to the local skate park, carrying a bag of spray cans. The sooner I break my neck, the better.

Peace, Terry

That brilliant Terry , you will have a fantastic time , the weather is getting better and there is nothing better than feeling the wind in your hair and smelling the flowers and seeing the birds . Nature always cheers me up. How fast does it go Terry ? Scooters usually go faster than wheelchairs. My chair is a Salsa mini quickie. It only does about 3 maybe 4 miles an hour I wish it went faster . I called them up to see if they could adjust the speed but the man said it’s set at full speed. My last chair was an Enigma, it went about 4 miles an hour and it seemed faster this ones an nhs one , it’s brilliant and has a small turning circle and looks snazzy but doesn’t pull apart to go in a boot . You could dismantle the last one , the batteries were very heavy but we could just about get it in my son’s boot . I hope you have lots of fun Terry. Once I got over the shock of being in a wheelchair I actually began to love it. . I always put mine on top speed it’s so exhilarating going on cobbles or down a steep hill fast !

Good for you Terry, enjoy your freedom and independence, there will be no stopping you now, well done.

Pam x

Hello Terry.

What do you call Hell’s Angels on mobility scooters?

We rock.

Steve

I love driving. The convenience of getting about, but being in touch with the surroundings is important to me too. Being in an urban enviroment makes a trick scooter a good step, before an actual disability scooter. With all the health boosts I’m trying, it’s an excellent way to get some exercise & improve circulation. It’s been rough with poor balance & the leg I push with, being the bad side of my body. Yet it makes more sense to keep pushing the problem, until it either improves or gets worse. So I can be in control of the situation. It’s fun too & that makes it worth while. Who cares what folks think! Terry

I managed to break my ribs on the trick scooter at the skate park this weekend. Trying to be youthful on ramps with balance issues, didn’t work out how I planned. This MS is starting to show me my limits. I do enjoy the scooter though. I’ll stick to flat paths when I heal. My graffiti materials arrive today, so that should keep me busy & out of dangerous trouble. Terry is getting old & the PPMS is making him shut down quicker. Or is it?

Please be careful Terry, when we are older our bodies don’t bounce the same as when we were teenagers. It’s good that you are having fun but I’d stick to the paths. Take care Michelle and Frazer xx

Indeed Michelle, the ribs will take a while to heal, but I’ve learned something. Wear a crash helmet!

It’s pushed me into gear, with my spray painting venture.

Maybe even that will be painful for a while, but anything to keep busy.

Terry is going multi coloured & radical.

Hiya Puddle

I’ve used an electric tricycle in the past for trips out and about. Looking at getting another one soon as the weather improves…hopefully! I have an electric thera trainer bike for indoors, that I’ve been using everyday, 15 mins at a time. Feel so much better in myself after exercising…definite ‘feel good factor’ and it’s something I can cope with well.

Keep it up with your scooter and let’s hope for sunshine!

Tina

I agree Tina. Keeping active & doing things, keeps the beast from taking hold. Once we are inactive it digs deeper & feels like letting the concrete dry. These broken ribs will heal & I will scoot another day, because it’s fun. Nothing worse than listening to the know it alls & giving up. No matter how sarcastic they are. Terry

Cheers Terry…keep smiling and scooting about when you can. Tina

Until the scooting continues after my ribs heal Tina, I’ve taken on the mamouth task of painting a 6ft canvas. I’m just waiting for the base coat to dry in this sunshine. What people think when they see me hobbling about in the morning, covered in paint. In & out of a shed, with spray cans, I don’t want to know. I’ll be classed as going around the twist as usual. Saying we have scarring in our brain, that causes the problems, just doesn’t seem to sink in. People ask what’s wrong with your legs & why are we so weak. You do nothing but sleep all day, you lazy git. I sometimes fall & can’t get up I’m so weak. Then the frustrated water works kick in & all I get is why are you so upset. Then I laugh & drag myself off somewhere safe. Most folks know I have PPMS, but I still get their version of my reality. These ribs are my greatest pain today & judging by the weather, it could be the heat soon. Stay active & avoid know it alls. Just keep doing stuff is the key. Terry

Agreed Terry. Do what you can when you can. I was a staff nurse and walking well unaided but after a fall, had to give up and become a Helpline Nurse on the phone. Rubbish money but I keep my registration and I can work from home. Yeah I now have to use a wheelchair but I still feel useful and part of society…it means a lot.

Keep going and don’t give up.

Tina

Good on you Tina for working from home & keeping up your society usefulness. I’m not sure on the rubbish money situation. Surely the PiP helps. Since my medical history began, my employability has become none existant. It’s been worded to make out I have mental problems, because I refuse to take medication for a condition with no cure. The fact the medication & how things developed, caused most my problems. The way I’ve been treated, gives me nightmares. The so called workers have made me feel lazy, because I struggle to function. I inquired about helping others diagnosed with PPMS. To give advice on persuing a healthier lifestyle, without medication. That went down like a led balloon. It seems like folks treat their medication as a proof of illness. It’s not the case. All I’ve ever wanted, is to be well clear of the people who dish out drugs. Anyone who’s ever lived next door to a drug dealer, will understand. They try & convince people, what they do is the cure. Eat better foods & steer clear of idiots. Stay as active as possible & keep the mind sparking, with puzzles. Terry

Gee-Wizz just read you’re latest news. Let me introduce myself. I was Dx April 2012 (a fiftieth BIrthday prezzy!) with MS - now transitioned to SPMS. You lot seemed to be very active and a chirpy bunch! Just joining the band wagon. I have a TGA for sunny days which I get top speed all of 8mph out of , down our country lane! I am shortly to get a RWD Invacare XTR2 courtesy of the NHS. Any one got one? I have SPC. Again Anyone got one? I can just about weight bear. and try to do some standing. Use it or loose it!

Hi Anon

Welcome to ‘our gang’ the club that I suppose none of us would have chosen to join, but we are where we are. Lots of lovely people here, always willing to listen and offer advice when they can.

I an waiting to take delivery of an Invacare XTR 2 courtesy of wheelchair services to replace my worn out Invacare Spectre plus, so I can’t tell you anything about it at the moment, I only have a picture of it!

I have ppms diagnosed in the 80’s so it has been normal to me for many years, I can weight bear (just) but life is still good, I do as much as I can, but we have some very adventurous peeps on here.

Look forward to seeing you on the forum again, take care.

Pam x

Hiya

Thanks for your reply and you’re right the PIP does help. Thankfully for me, I was assessed at home and not asked to do anything I couldn’t. I was quite stressed about it what with all the horror stories but I got my payment through and some back pay as well so all was well in the end. Yeah a good diet is key and I take vitamins and do a daily exercise workout. I have a goal to get back to using crutches again so will need to do more ‘drop foot’ exercises to help.

Yeah puzzles are good for the brain and I do scrabble online every evening…it’s quite addictive!

I just have my regular annual check up with the MS nurse and then with the neurologist…prefer to keep it that way. I too prefer to keep medical intervention at bay where I can.

Keep going take care

Tina