Hello, I am new here and I am really hoping someone can offer some help, advice or support.
I was diagnosed with optic neuritis around 4 weeks ago which came out of the blue and rreally gave me a shock. I went to see the ophthalmologist who after a few days (as it worsened) decided totreat me with steroids which helped bring my vision back a little, although I do feel its worsening a little bit.
I started to develop weakness in my body and over the four weeks that have passed I have very weak legs with some burning/stabbing sensations in my arms and legs sporadically. I have had other symptoms too which I have listed below:
- I get hot easily (though this seems to have calmed down a bit)
- pins and needles in my feet and arms and sometimes face- I usually wake up with a completely dead arm (which has been happening over a year)
- I have sore knees and feet (which looking back i have had around 2 years)
- some dizziness which seems to have improved a little
- pain in the centre of my back and previously in my tummy (like a band)
- Now have a white patch on my tongue that matches the description of leukoplakia - which is linked with people who have compromised immune systems - hence suggesting MS. One website even said their are links.
The symptom I find the most distressing is the jelly legs - its making me feel worried when I am walking and feel like they wont support me properly.
It’s worth saying I am an incredibly anxious person and would be fair to say I’ve slipped into a dark depression over the few weeks.
I have week to wait for my MRI as the doctor saw me when I only had optic neuritis and no other symptoms so didn’t think I was high risk.
I’m so afraid, I know it takes a while to diagnose MS but really feel convinced I have it - especially due to the addition of the white patch on my tongue. I am 33 years old and was just about to start a family, have a brilliant job I love and a bright future ahead of me, I just cant get my head around this. I am also very scared its PPMS and not RRMS (due to weak legs) which I believe seems worse?
Any advice or words of support would be so welcome in this scary time xx