Light weight mobility scooter - again

I am thinking about getting a lightweight mobility scooter. I have read a couple of very interesting threads on this but wanted to get more of people’s experiences if poss.

It seems as if the three lightweight scooters are the luggie, the mobie (both about 50lbs) and the travelscoot (35lbs). I know daveymartin’s wife had a terrible (and very expensive) experience damaging the mobie going over a low curb and that one of the British suppliers of the luggie went into receivership. I was particularly interested to know whether anyone has used any of these regularly over months and how they stood up to this. The travelscoot looks great on the video - so light! folds up so small! But is it robust? It would be great if someone could let me know.

Thanks

This review was made by Patrick on his site.

http://www.aid4disabled.com/travelscoot/

No the travelscoot is not robust and nor can you reverse it, so unless you have plenty of strength to push back with yout legs, it’s no use at all. It goes quite fast if you have the balance for that and feel it is ‘sturdy enough’ for you. Had one of these about 4 years ago, had it 2 days and put it on ebay.

Have you looked at the TGA Buddy? - heavier but well made. And it’s cheaper than the Luggie. I demoed this scooter and liked it but decided to go down the wheelchair route.

Jane

I have a Roma something or other and love it. It’s pearl white and prettied up with pink stickers !! Xx

Just checked…it’s a Roma Vegas S841 !! Just the job.

I’ve had a Luggie for eighteen months. It weighs 45 kg and I bought thinking I could easily lift it into the car boot like the little girl in the advert. She must be a weightlifter. I have now had a hoist fitted to my car so weight isn’t really so relevant. I may change the luggi for a scooter with larger wheels. The Luggi isn’t really suitable for rougher surfaces but is ideal for shopping centres or smooth promenades etc. Hope this helps. John H P S - Luggi is over £2k new. I bought mine on eBay for £1200 delivered, in new condition.

I’ve had a Luggie for eighteen months. It weighs 45 kg and I bought thinking I could easily lift it into the car boot like the little girl in the advert. She must be a weightlifter. I have now had a hoist fitted to my car so weight isn’t really so relevant. I may change the luggi for a scooter with larger wheels. The Luggi isn’t really suitable for rougher surfaces but is ideal for shopping centres or smooth promenades etc. Hope this helps. John H P S - Luggi is over £2k new. I bought mine on eBay for £1200 delivered, in new condition.

I purchased a Travelscoot about 6 weeks ago and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is so compact and practical. It has recently been ‘new improved’ and now has improved brakes and a reverse function. I find it very robust and have so far been amazed at the bumpy rough paths it has handled and going up slopes has been no issue… Very easy to lift into the back of my car and takes about 30 secs to reset up ( unless I have just lifted it into the boot without folding, then I just have to raise the handlebars. There really is nothing else like it on the market. I am still pretty mobile but struggle walking distances so this allows me to go shopping again and also accompany my family on walks. Travelscoot Europe is based in Germany and the owner is very friendly and helpful and speaks perfect English. I am actually based in Brussels at the moment so went through to Germany for the day to try the the scooter at a disability trade fair before buying. Apart from this the owner can put you in touch with other owners who may live in your area and who are happy to show off their scooters. The Li-ion battery is wonderful and last ages - spent entire afternoon driving round centre of York 2 weeks ago and the battery light hadn’t left green. Happy to answer any questions anybody may have on this. Has brought a bit of freedom back to my life.

Just to let you know, I bought a TravelScoot and it seems absolutely great. Looks a bit Heath-Robinson but I quite like that (and my sons and husband love it and keep playing on it). I can’t lift it when it’s fully assembled but I’m fine as long as the seat is off.

A link to a UK distributor would have been useful.

Geoff