Leg weakness, possible ms ?

Hello everyone, im new to this forum, i wanted to share some of my symptoms that i’ve been having for the past couple of years. My mother has been diagnosed with ppms 5 years ago after 20 years of trying to find whats wrong with her. I’m 29 year old male, i’ve had hypothyroidism for the past 4 years and i am currently on a euthyrox 75mcg, im keeping my tsh and everything under control. Two years ago i started feeling very tired and exhausted during the day, no matter how much i’ve slept, at the same time also started having problems with sexual function ( my penis went numb and zero libido, very weak erections ) no weakness at that time, i was very phisicaly active , i talked to my endocrynologist about it and did some lab tests and he told me that everything is ok with my hormones and that i should maybe talk to a psychiatrist, at that time i didnt visit psychiatrist. A year after my initial symptoms i started having weakness in both of my legs, particularly in my quad muscles( started having difficulty getting up from a seated position or climbing stairs), also started having clumsiness while walking, loss of balance, and fasciculations in my whole body. Straight away i went to see a neurologist who did mri of brain and cervical spine with contrast, emg of my legs and arms, and basic lab tests. Since he hasn’t found any abnormalities he sent me to see the psychiatrist which i did this time, ive been taking 3 different medications for anxiety and depresion ( Eglonyl , Elicea and Xanax ). Except being a little bit better mentaly my neorological symptoms havent resolved, now after almoust two years, when doctors realised my symptoms arent resolving, they are sending me to do mri of my thoracic spine. Im pretty sure i have ms , i’m having my mri done on friday, First i was happy thinking that its not ms but at that point of time i thought that lesions appear only on brain and cervical spine, little did i know that they can appear anywhere in cns. I’m scared of ms diagnosis but then there are even worse conditions, My mother had it for 20 years and she is still able to walk without assistance, she rides her bicycle regularly, im just hoping if it’s ms that mine will be relatively mild like her’s. Feel free to discus with me and share your own experiences. I will post results of my mri when its done.

Hi Urosh, please could you provide an update on your diagnosis. Thanks

Hello, I’m still having most of the symptoms i’ve mentioned above, i also started feeling weakness in my neck, im having hard time holding my head up during the day, I’ve done my thoracic spine mri with contrast a month ago which also came back clear, no signs of lesions, so i guess ms is definetly out of the story for me, I’ve also visited other neurologist who did neurological exam and emng of my legs and arms, no abnormalities were found, he refered me to do the myasthenia gravis blood work which includes two types of antibodies, im still waiting for the results of bloodwork for myasthenia, but he also said that it is very unlikely that i have myasthenia but we are going to check anyway. Yesterday i was reading my cervical mri report and i saw that i have cervical spine stenosis in c3-c4 level of 9.5mm, other levels of cervical spine are also stenotic 10-11mm, None of the doctors i’ve visited ever mentioned that to me, I’ve read online that anything under 10mm is considered serious stenosis which can cause symptoms like mine, so right now idk what to do.

1 Like

Hi Urosh, thanks for the reply. I too am 29yrs old and my problems started about 8 months ago.

It started with sever neck and back pain which started suddenly overnight. The neurological symptoms only started about 2 weeks later while in hospital for neck/back pain.

My first symptom was tingling and twitching in leg followed by numbness in hands and legs (mostly at night).

Then woke up day or 2 later with blurry vision and later buzzing and pulsing in head.
January this year i saw a docotor who did MRI,EEG,Nerve Conduction tests,Bloods,Ultraounds etc.
Only found Degenerative disc disease in neck/back and a clear brain MRI.

My head also felt too heavy and unstable for months until maybe March. A lot of more serious symptoms settled and i have many residual symptoms upto now.

About 3 weeks ago, my legs started feeling week and walking become difficult if i dont sit often.1 week ago my left knee starts having weird pain/weakness as if its nerve damaged.
Im wondering if this is not a relapse of some kind even though i havent been diagnosed with MS.

Sorry for the long message

If your mri is clear, that means you dont have ms, you cant have ms without lesions, did doctors do mri of your Thoracic spine ?, Your problem deffinetly sounds like some neurological issue, but there are some other methabolic disorders that can mimic neurological conditions. Only thing we can do right now is sit and wait for our condition to get better or worse. Doctors dont really take me seriously because i dont have any clinical weakness, only subjective weakness for now. If you are able to function and do your daily tasks maybe its best to wait , your condition might improve on its own, or it might stay the same like mine did, if it starts gettting worse then you should visit doctors again. Maybe you should do some physical therapy for your degenerative disc disease, i try to stay active as much as i can, i exercise a little bit and i also take bunch of vitamins and minerals ( multivitamin, D3, fish oil, B vitamins and magnesium).