Just got diagnosed with PPMS age 50

Good morning all,
I’m 50 years old, and for the last two years, I’ve been having problems dancing, then more recently walking ( drop foot??). Turns out after several blood tests, MRIs and a lumbar puncture I’ve got PPMS.
I’m currently on 20mg Baclofen three times a day.
I’m getting leg cramps in the morning when trying to stretch, and if I get too hot overnight, leg cramps overnight ( started sleeping with the duvet in half over my top ATM).
I’ve asked for counselling because I feel that the constant pain in my legs is affecting my patience with people :worried: and considering how I’ve responded to it all, perhaps I’m in denial, who knows :rofl::joy:
Have any of you tried changing diets to help with cramps, spasms, symptoms etc?
I’ll have a look into Ocrevus, thanks guys.

I’m ok with my diagnosis ATM, it is what it is, I was angry at first but I can’t change anything, wrist night of my life, telling my two sons, so going to maybe retire from work with ill health and try to travel whilst I can. Not sure of the financial tax etc problems with that, so will do some digging.

You seem a supportive bunch, with a wealth of experience, I look forward to chatting with you all.

Thanks, and good luck to us all :hugs::purple_heart:
Cuediin

The best solution to drop foot I have found is ingenious FES. Your GP can refer you for assessment.
Functional electrical stimulation (FES) | MS Trust

Magnesium can ease problems with spasm & cramp and is a beneficial mineral, so no harm in trying.

Not sure if diet has much impact on MS, but sticking to fresh food is great for general health and your body will love you for it. This is from the professor of neurology at Barts.
Which is the best MS diet? - by Gavin Giovannoni (substack.com)

1 Like

In addition to @whammel’s recommendations, have you tried rubbing voltarol gel into the muscles that are locking up. I find rubbing some into my lower back / pelvis / glute (left side) plus down onto the thigh at times, takes the edge off and it’s more or less immediate. My GP prescribes me a tube of voltarol from time to time.

Hi Cuediin.
Emotions are bound to go up and down, its normal. Your life will change but try to see the positives in your decisions.
If you have a mortgage and critical illness cover you can claim on your policy, one less financial burden.
Take care.
Cath

Hi All,
Thanks for your replies.
Cath, I luckily did have some financial security in place, and with my job, I am looking to further this to ensure some financial security in the future.

GCCK,
I have been provided some Amitriptiline to help with the pain overnight, it got so bad, I ended up only getting an hour or two of sleep overnight, catching some of it up during the day. I might see about using Voltarol, as I am not happy with the queasy feeling I get when waking up in the morning.

Whammel,
I have looked into several diets, and whilst some may work for RRMS doesn’t seem to be any evidence at all for PPMS, the only guidance being, exercise, stretch, and eat healthily. I am just starting the best bet diet, in but I am unsure if I will stick with it, but, will see how it goes.

Thank you all for your support and guidance so far.