Just diagnosed and not dealing with it very well

I’m 21 and I was diagnosed with MS on Monday and at the start of the week was more happy to have received a diagnosis than anything. I struggle a lot with my mental health and have anxiety issues which have seriously affected me over the past day and a half.

I’ve found myself overthinking a lot of things about problems that could be caused and I’m finding it difficult to see any good.

Hello welcome to the site and yes I think most of us understand the relief at getting a diagnosis especially if you’ve had unexplained symptoms for a while. But now that you have the diagnosis you will be able to access the necessary support to help you. I’ve had MS for too many years to remember but have had a good life, got married, had kids and carried on with a great career. I was able bodied for the most of that time (only needing a wheelchair for the last few years). I’ve never been offered disease modifying drugs to slow the progression but these are more available now especially to younger people like yourself so you see the outlook is not so dire. It is natural to experience anxiety which impacts on your mental health - most of us have been there. Try not to overthink things or worry about the future, live for today, as none of us know what is in store for us. Life can be very good even with MS its just sometimes we need help and this site is ideal for help and support. Take care :kissing_heart: Maz

I’m like Theorising. I’ve had undeniable symptoms since I was 15 but didn’t get a diagnosis until 54. I learned early on to stay out of direct sunlight, stop taking hot baths, and then I gave up long-distance hiking when I was 17. Other than that, it didn’t affect my everyday life much beyond needing to rest a little more than other people.

I went to trade school, worked full time for 34 years, commuted 112 kilometers a day for half of those, raised a family, did the house and yard work. It’s only been over the last 2 years that I had to quit working, but I’m not in a wheelchair, only occasionally use a walking stick, and can live alone just fine.

MS does affect everyone differently, but don’t write off your life at this point in time. Yes, you may find things that you can no longer do (climbing Mt. Everest is probably one of them), but then you just find other activities to fill in. The important thing is to focus on what you CAN do. Learn your limits and adapt to them as they occur. Develop a routine and figure out when you can push yourself and when you can’t.

I’ve had a very full life and am happy where I am now, in spite of legs that don’t work very well now. You should have many years before your life changes very much.

1 Like

Awdhaimte, I am very sorry that at an early age you have been diagnosed with MS and have probably spent much of your with the mental health issues - God mental health can be worse than dying, so I certainly empathize with you.

My wife had a Progressive form of MS which is bad enough. I was diagnosed at 18 (1965) with a serious form of mental illness that was just beginning to receive serious study. In 1987 I received my mental diagnosis: Bi-Polar II, Rapid Cycler, with Long Term Disability. Later research indicated I was born with it. I half-heartedly attempted suicide once, planned it a hundred times or more and thought about a few thousand times. I am 74 and still here. So you can learn to live with it,fight it and in the long run dance with the devil. The Rapid Cycler is the key to survival of Bi-Polar because you can learn when you are going to be depressed and when you are depressed, you can learn when you are coming out of the depression. For example, if you have ever driven or walked on a smooth road, maybe a black topped road and you see the heat waves rising from the pavement in Bi-Polar that is an indication that you are going up or down based upon what your mood was the previous hours. When I get really depressed and I know that I am going down, I know that shortly, I am going to be at rock bottom. Then at some period you know you are going to be up again. It takes a while to get a hold on these cycles but if you learn that you have them, you know when not to make a serious decision and when you can undertake more serious decision making. I expect to be around a few more yours and will take anyone’s questions on this subject. If the administrators thing this is out of line, we can take it off-line and use the site as intended, just for MS related subjects. We all know that if you have MS or are someones carer, you will have mental health issues and you may need all the help you can get dealing with everything. Jim