I've won the lottery!

No, not really - but it feels like it, as the odds are about the same.

I’ve got a doctor’s appointment this morning, at only the third time of asking! The third separate occasion, that is - not only three times today (I still had to redial five or six times before getting through, but that is GOOD, by usual standards).

So, I’ll finally get to see her about the flippin’ eye! It’s really bad this morning, so at least I’ll have something to show her, and not the usual story of everything spontaneously clearing up, the moment you’ve got an appointment. I do hope she prescribes me the steroid drops. I know she doesn’t like doing it, but they really do WORK - nothing else does. I’m miserable carrying on like this. It makes me look awful and feel awful. And I couldn’t go to a job interview looking like this. Nobody’s going to hire someone who looks as if they’re riddled with infection.

I won’t get started on how there is no longer a bus service, to get me to the doctor’s, as that’s a whole other story. I hear the bus to the hospital is to be withdrawn in September, too. Pretty soon, I’ll be housebound - NOT because of MS. There just won’t be any transport to go anywhere. I’ve just found out there’s no bus service into town any more, either, without having to walk a long way, or change. That drastically cuts down the jobs I’ll be able to consider, as they’ll have to be within reach of the railway station.

T.

x

Well done Tina

hope the doc can sort your eye out

Hey, thats excellent - I did think you’d really won the lottery when I saw the post lol. Hope appointment goes well xx

Well done Tina, Just got back, he thinks I’m coming out of a relapse, next time see him sooner and maybe I can have some oral steroids!!! FFS I’ve only been trying to see him for a month! Anyway rant over, good luck today! Chis x

Hi Tina, that’s great news that you have got an appointment and also good that the eye is bad so she will see it at its worst. Hope you get something to help! Why do they always want to withdraw buses that people use and that go to useful places like the hospital that people eed to get to. I’m not really good enough on my feet to use the buses but even so can never understand why they want to withdraw bus services! Let us know later how you get on. Good luck. Cheryl:-)

Hi Tina, that’s great news that you have got an appointment and also good that the eye is bad so she will see it at its worst. Hope you get something to help! Why do they always want to withdraw buses that people use and that go to useful places like the hospital that people eed to get to. I’m not really good enough on my feet to use the buses but even so can never understand why they want to withdraw bus services! Let us know later how you get on. Good luck. Cheryl:-)

Well folks, I’m back, and it turned out my lottery ticket was a dud. Should have kept my big trap shut, shouldn’t I?

I made it to the appointment OK, apart from having to book a taxi, and everything was OK, other than the doctor running nearly an hour late (chap behind me in the queue gave up and stormed out).

But anyway, I’d been struggling ages to get this appointment, so what’s another hour?

Appointment itself went great, but good job I saw my usual doctor, NOT a locum, because I had to remind her that previously when this happened, it WASN’T an infection, otherwise she’d have fobbed me off with antibiotics again.

So I said: “Actually, it wasn’t infected the last time, and I was rather hoping you’d prescribe the steroid drops again!”

She looked at the notes, and said: “Hmmm, did they work, then?”

“Yes, almost instantly!”

“OK, well it still might be an infection, but you’re sensible enough… I’ll prescribe the steroid drops again, as they worked before, and if it’s obviously no better in a couple of days, it probably IS an infection, and you’ll need to stop them.”

“Yes, fine, I’m OK with that, but I’m very confident the steroids will work!”

Went away really happy, couldn’t wait to collect my prescription and get the drops in, anticipating instant relief, like last time.

Decided to walk home, even though it’s three miles, as I’ve been neglecting the walking lately, plus I could save myself £8 in taxi fares. Also the route took me right past the chemist, so I could pick the stuff up.

Got to the chemist (about 2 miles in to the 3-mile walk), presented the prescription. Much tutting, whispering and head-shaking.

“We haven’t got it.”

“I’m sorry?”

“We haven’t got it. No-one has. You won’t get it anywhere. You’ll have to go back to the doctor, and ask her to prescribe something else.”

“But I’ve just walked two miles FROM the doctor!”

“Sorry. You can try somewhere else if you like, but I guarantee they won’t have it. There’s a nationwide shortage.”

So I’ve got all the way home, virtually in tears. Having waited weeks to see the doctor, forked out £8 for a taxi, got there, waited another hour, and walked three miles home, I’ve got a prescription that’s completely worthless. Can’t be traded for meds anywhere in the country, allegedly, and I’ve got to start all over again.

Also none of my painkillers (ordered Monday) were ready yet, so I’m out of those now, too (coming round later today).

Thank God for bl**dy gin, that’s all I can say!

No doctors’ appointments, no buses, and to cap it all no flippin’ meds.

This country’s going to the dogs, it really is.

Tina

x

That`s great Tina. How did it go then? Hope you got the steroids you wanted.

Where on earth do you live? no buses.future bus cuts…any chance of you moving to an area close to the facilities you need?

Sure hope the eye soon improves.

luv Pollx

Hi Poll,

Yeah, I couldn’t walk all the way back to the doc’s (they would’ve been closed for lunch anyway), so I came home, rang them after 2:00, and explained the problem.

They sounded as if they weren’t surprised, and this is not the first time it’s happened. The wider background is that drugs meant for the British market can command higher prices abroad, so they are often sold overseas, even if it leaves shortages here at home.

They’re gonna substitute something different, but doesn’t look like I’m going to have any eye-drops sorted for the weekend, so another few days with the poor eye. :frowning:

Rubbish, innit?

T.

x

Tina, I’m sorry that you have had such a hard time getting the drops that you need, it is so wrong that medications are not available to those in need. Would it be worth your while calling a few of the pharmacies in your area to see if they have them in stock? Or maybe the hospital? I know it may mean another trek but if they really help you it maybe worth it. Take care, but enjoy the gin Ppx

Thanks Pollyp,

The attitude of the pharmacy was: “We’re positive you won’t find it anywhere, but if you think you can, you’re welcome to try…”

I was confident they know their business better than I do, and that if they say it can’t be had for love nor money, they’re probably right.

Life’s hard enough, without giving myself the impossible task of finding a drug even a professional pharmacist couldn’t source, so I decided to take the path of least resistance, and ask the surgery to do write me a scrip’ for something else.

Which I’m positive one of the doctors will do, but whether they’d get round to it or not this afternoon is another matter. I’m thinking it’ll probably be Monday now.

Do you think gin helps eye problems? (To drink, not use as eyewash, that is :wink: )

It seems as if it’s feeling a bit better, but is that just because I don’t care as much?

T.

x

[quote=“Anitra”]

Thanks Pollyp,

The attitude of the pharmacy was: “We’re positive you won’t find it anywhere, but if you think you can, you’re welcome to try…”

I was confident they know their business better than I do, and that if they say it can’t be had for love nor money, they’re probably right.

Life’s hard enough, without giving myself the impossible task of finding a drug even a professional pharmacist couldn’t source, so I decided to take the path of least resistance, and ask the surgery to do write me a scrip’ for something else.

Which I’m positive one of the doctors will do, but whether they’d get round to it or not this afternoon is another matter. I’m thinking it’ll probably be Monday now.

Do you think gin helps eye problems? (To drink, not use as eyewash, that is :wink: )

It seems as if it’s feeling a bit better, but is that just because I don’t care as much?

T.

x

[/quote] Yeh Tina I think the gin will help lots. Like you say sometimes it is easier to take the oath of least resistance. Hope you get it sorted soon Ppx

Hi Tina, Beginning to think the NHS sucks even though my sister lives in Eire and the health system there is third world! Ive always bigger up my gp, though after my experience this week they fall into my w€$¥~|\s category! Good luck with the search for your meds, Chis

Hi Tina,

I know it’s not quite the same thing but I had a prescription for support tights, went to Boots the Chemist, they said oh no there’s no way we can get those for you. We went to another chemist and got them.

When I was suffering with my eyes, for many, many years Moorfields supplied my eye drops, at that time it was called Maxidex (a steroid eye drop) which gave instant relief, at first I couldn’t get them from the chemist then when I produced the prescription form from Moorfields they realised that they could only be gotten from Moorfields. So each time I needed more they got them from Moorfields. So try asking the chemist if they can get them from Moorfields as sometimes that’s the only place you can get them from. I wish you luck and hope you get some relief very quickly.

Janet

x