Is getting a walking stick a bit OTT?

Grandma get a hollow one - good place to store chocolate!

2 Likes

My wife has been using a stick for about a year as i noticed she was stumbling a bit(before we had any idea she might have MS) and was hanging onto things as she moved round house or me if we were out, i was worried she might fall if she nipped out the house alone. She has got about 4 or 5 now! I was amazed how solid feeling those fold up ones were and would say well worth giving a try.

I am glad to hear that most people seem to be given a bit more space and consideration when a stick can be seen but ashamed to say i have gone a bit blind to it and have lost count of the times i have accidently kicked her stick from under her when we have been out.

Her mobility does seem to be getting worse and today she has mentioned maybe trying a crutch,hopefully will find one in a charity shop and i can tart it up with some pink/purple paint.

At the age of 46 I thought I was too young to be using a stick but the significant other persuaded me so I purchased a fold up one to put in my bag that I take to work.

I donā€™t use it all the time but at the end of the day on the walk from the office to get the train home, about half way to the station, I start to drag feet, stumble, etc so get my stick out and find walking a lot easier. Also, when I get to the station, there are some steps and I had found these awkward but the stick helps me to get up the steps.

It is also very strange, being male I would allow ladies to get on the train before me. With the stick ladies regularly allow me to go first, which I find very strange.

2 Likes

After putting it off for too long, I started to use a walking stick about 10 years. Almost instantly, my walking style improved as I was much more confident, less hesitant and less afraid of stumbling knowing that I had the stick there to support me if necessary. Also, the stick acted as a signal to others. I lost count of the number of times that I would stumble into people, especially in crowded areas, and the person that I stumbled into, having noticed the walking stick would actually apologise to me, even though I was the one who had stumbled and caused the bump.

I wish I had used the stick earlier than I did.

Derek

Hi all

a bit late but I need a stick to get about. At first I had a collapsible walking stick but was advised by a physio to use 1 or 2 walking poles. They have the advantage that they can be extended to various heights and keep you more upright to avoid stooping so better posture.

As is typical with MS I now donā€™t leave home without it.

good luck

Adam

1 Like

The nice thing about walking poles is they come in pairs.

I love mine, more for transferring - then I clip them on to my powerchair and zooom off into the distance.

Walking is over rated. I wish I had given up earlier. I have more energy now and donā€™t feel so foolish walking badly.

Reading these posts with interest the thought of having a walking stick is scary but the more times I walk any long distance and look like Iā€™ve just come out of the pub the more I think I will end up with one.

I now have a thumb stick - my husband bought it for me during the summer while we were at an agricultural show. I had been struggling with fatigue and balance and had been using him to cling to and lean on. It has turned out to be the best thing he could have got me. It is held at elbow height so keeps me upright. Is also ideal to have for support when having to rest where seats or railings not within reach. It really comes into its own when I need to go uphill - I use it like a paddle!!!

1 Like

I have been using a walking stick outdoors for a while now, along with a ā€˜wheelie walkerā€™ that I can sit on. Itā€™s called something like, Walk, Shop and Restā€¦

I have, recently, needed to use my walking stick indoors, too. I have, unfortunately, had to ask for a ā€˜zimmerframeā€™ (I hate that word) because my knees mainly just go to jelly, and then meltā€¦ I am wondering whether I should ask for a wheel chair, too, as everything takes such a long timeā€¦???

Anne :heart:

1 Like

If you break your leg you use crutches no difference to using a walking stick if you have MS its a need.

2 Likes

I would argue yes! As you progress falls will become a hazard at home. Ask for a referral to NHS Wheelchair Services, it may take a few weeks for an appointment but their wheechair/powerchair budgets are there to help you.

Nice new profile picture Crazy Chick.

Sue

Anne,

i would look at what you need on your absolute worst day and use that as your starting point. You donā€™t have to use the aid (whether itā€™s a stick, crutches, Walker, wheelchair etc) if you donā€™t Ned it, but itā€™s good to have something there should you definitely need it.

Years ago, my wife insisted that we get a disabled parking badge. I said no, but she got one for me anyway. Her (sound) reasoning was, if it you have and you need it, you can use it. If itā€™s there and you donā€™t need it, then you donā€™t have to use it. She applied this logic when she insisted that I use a wheelchair for the 3 mile hike at the airport down to the gate. I said no. She said yes. Once again, she was right - weā€™ve only been married 27 years and sheā€™s never, ever been wrong so far. ( is there a tongue in cheek emoji I can use here?)

Derek

2 Likes

I just read this thread. I love my blue badge, followed someoneā€™s advice on here to complete the form as if it was my worst day. I was amazed to get it, deteriorated somewhat, and wouldnā€™t be without it now!

Also have a walking stick but the neurophysio recommended a walking pole, which is much better. She told me how high it should be set, and that itā€™s better, as I walk more upright with it, and she was right.

Having a walking aid does signal a disability of some kind to the people around you, which is no bad thing!

Louise

1 Like

My walking stick is set to what is supposed to be the right height - handle level with my wrist. Unfortunately I tend to lean on the stick, which is bad for my posture and also bad for my hips. I need two sticks now, so Iā€™ve bought myself a decent rollator and adjusted the handles so that I walk more upright. Anything that improves your posture and/or helps you get around has to be good, whether itā€™s a hiking pole, thumb stick or rollator.

2 Likes

I have a fold up stick in the boot of my car at all times but feel self conscious of using it, Im fine to start of with when out then get tired and know i need the support but have left it in the car, sometimes i am my own worst enemy and always worry what others are thinking or saying about me so try to hide a lot of my symptoms.