Hi everyone I get what I think is the hug - often wake up with it, it always seems worse when laying down. Does anyone else wake with it? Any ideas as so bad I have to get up as in agony when wake with it. I’m on gabapentin, amitriptyline, undiagnosed. Thanks Becki xx
I’m sorry I don’t understand. What is the hug? X
Hi Becki, it could be hug… difficult to know of course… but if it is hug here is my list of copy/paste tips which might help (I suffer with it myself).
Littlekit, it’s sometimes called ‘banding’ and is a very tight feeling around ribs… anyway tips below should give you an idea of what it is.
It’s a spasm of the small muscles between the ribs. Here are some tips that might help:
· It can go all around your rib area, or only in part of rib area… up high on ribs or low down on ribs… or it can be only on one side of ribs
· Sometimes the affected area will be extremely itchy
· Much worse in heat
· Much worse when fatigued or stressed
· Don’t wear a bra (it irritates the muscles)
· Don’t wear tight clothing… the looser the better
· Avoid large meals… little and often is better
· Lie down in/on bed if you can… and lying completely flat often helps
· Take 2 Paracetamol… if you are not on other pain med’s… or try one Paracetamol & one Ibuprofin (no more than 3 times a day)
· Try controlling your breathing… deep in through the nose and slowly blow out of mouth… and try and relax whole body while doing it
· Stay as cool as you can but don’t have cold shower… luke warm is better
· Rest, rest, rest and then get some more rest (if at all possible)
· Gently rub the affected area. It might feel like it’s bruised… don’t worry, that’s normal
· Recently I’ve discovered that if I eat something small, eg bowl of cereal, it seems to relieve the hug for a while. Not sure why but it’s worth a try.
Ah thanks Pat. Sounds horrid. Hope it improves x
Hi Becki, I wake up with it too-usually about 4.30 am and HAVE to get up! I’ve got nowhere with advice or medication from my gp and been dismissed by my Neuro after clear neck and brain MRIs. I have read that it can be caused by spinal lesions. Does yours seem to vary throughout the day too? Usually by the time I see a gp, its eased off or gone completely! I’m sure they (and my hubby) think I’m making it up! I’m sorry I can’t give you any advice-I wish I could! Kay xxx
This use to alway happen me foe months on end. I see you on ampityrpline , this should help . What mg are u on?.
Thanks everyone for your replies, Dee I’m on 50mg amitriptyline which is the highest dose I can tolerate:-( I can go a few weeks with no pain there and then its back every morning again. I take my gabapentin then psyche myself up to sit up as it’s so painful right round my ribs. I do a few gentle stretches Neuro physio taught me but I’m so stiff my torso won’t bend. I find having my breakfast cereal helps and then it eases off as I get more supple with moving. On bad days it’s a struggle to wash in the shower as I just can’t bend. I’m just under my gp now as all my MRIs were clear, nothing new has happened but hug does seem to be worse- could be the heat I guess. Thanks again for all your advice Becki xx
Hi all i didnt know about the ms hug at first ,Pain in chest like constricting squeezing in ribs hubby had been getting it ages now it all makes sense.xxx julie