How do you know if you've gone from RRMS to SPMS?

I thought in SPMS, the nerves die. This happens because the myelin has been so damaged. However, what’s going on in your brain or spinal cord is not more damage to the myelin, it’s now something happening to the nerves and not anything to do with their covering.

I agree with Tina on the progression point. Although the majority of people with RRMS end up getting SPMS, not all of them do

Yes sewing chick is right. SPMS is neurodegenertion of the nerves caused by all the previous attacks on the myelin. In RRMS the myelin is attacked and then the body repairs it so you are fine again - relapse over. But for some as they age there will be neuro degeneration under those old plaques. No amount of myelin repair treatment will help those dead nerves.

People who have had a spinal cord injury is the past may get nerve neurodegeneration at the site of the injury as they age. Also people who have had TM, ADEM and CIS may also too.

I have looked into this a lot as I was told I may now have neurodegeneration in an area in my spinal cord were I had radiation treatment in 1990. Basically at the time of the radiation I had inflammation of the myelin and had an attack of l’hermittes. I was 25 and recovered well after a few months. Then started having what looked like PPMS 20 years later.

I have read that this damage happens because of oxidative stress which increases as we age. I have started to take anti-oxidants now to fight those free radicals. This is what Statins do I believe too which is why some neuros are giving them to slow down progression. I am going to ask my neuro next time for these.

PPMS I am told is direct neurodegenation rather than myelin attacks. They cant explain this as there have never been those previous myelin attacks. What appears ot be happening is neurodegeneration under normal myelin.

For me PPMS has not been totally ruled out. They are waiting to see if any new lesions arrive. My brain MRI continues to be clear and the LP is normal. So I remain kind off in limbo.

Moyna xxx

Yes sewing chick is right. SPMS is neurodegenertion of the nerves caused by all the previous attacks on the myelin. In RRMS the myelin is attacked and then the body repairs it so you are fine again - relapse over. But for some as they age there will be neuro degeneration under those old plaques. No amount of myelin repair treatment will help those dead nerves.

People who have had a spinal cord injury is the past may get nerve neurodegeneration at the site of the injury as they age. Also people who have had TM, ADEM and CIS may also too.

I have looked into this a lot as I was told I may now have neurodegeneration in an area in my spinal cord were I had radiation treatment in 1990. Basically at the time of the radiation I had inflammation of the myelin and had an attack of l’hermittes. I was 25 and recovered well after a few months. Then started having what looked like PPMS 20 years later.

I have read that this damage happens because of oxidative stress which increases as we age. I have started to take anti-oxidants now to fight those free radicals. This is what Statins do I believe too which is why some neuros are giving them to slow down progression. I am going to ask my neuro next time for these.

PPMS I am told is direct neurodegenation rather than myelin attacks. They cant explain this as there have never been those previous myelin attacks. What appears ot be happening is neurodegeneration under normal myelin.

For me PPMS has not been totally ruled out. They are waiting to see if any new lesions arrive. My brain MRI continues to be clear and the LP is normal. So I remain kind off in limbo.

Moyna xxx

RRMS acute inflammatory demyelinating lesions can cause axon death too, if they’re fierce enough. Alas.

Alison